Oil Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I only recently purchased my 94 LC. I noticed that it has a Motorcraft FL 1-A oil filter. The manual and other sources call for a much small filter. The Fram TG 3614 is about 1/3 the size and the base is much smaller. I like the idea of a larger filter but am wondering if I might cause a problem keeping the Motorcraft on. Any one have any experience on that subject?

They had larger filter there hole life. As far as I know. The new smaller filter are something new. I would stick with the larger ones. OEM or Napa Gold/Wix

Negative. The smaller filter 90915-20004 has been around a long time and superceded PN: 90915-20002.

Most of the new Japanese export vehicles in fact come with 90915-20004's.

Wouldn't it make since to run the larger OEM filter?
I wonder why they make the two different sizes?

Wouldn't it make since to run the larger OEM filter?
I wonder why they make the two different sizes?

The smaller filter has the same mounting gasket diameter of its larger cousin. However, many of the newer engines simply don't have room for the larger filter. Instead of stocking another filter, most dealers will carry the one and use it on the vehicles that call for the large filter. Not many LC's come through the service department compared to the number of V-6's and 4's that need the smaller filter due to space limitations. Plus, it's cheaper!

Is the large OEM filter still available, nothing like a little more oil in the system...?

That all spills out on the front axle housing when you spin that big boy off. :lol:

After that your hand is trapped just like the monkey's when he tries to get the bannana through the cage bars, except this bannana is HOT....:hillbilly:

That all spills out on the front axle housing when you spin that big boy off. :lol:

After that your hand is trapped just like the monkey's when he tries to get the bannana through the cage bars, except this bannana is HOT....:hillbilly:

Seriously. I remember the first oil change with the big filter that came with my rig - SO MUCH OIL EVERYWHERE. The little ones are vastly superior in this regard (less spillage, easier to get in, mobility, etc).

Just did a change today, so the benefits are fresh in my mind!

I am going to revive this one just for information sake.

I really like the NAPA gold filters a lot. They are made very well and do an excellent job. They usually have a day each year that all gold filters are on sale for about half price. They are less than the standard filters during this sale.

The Gold filters I purchased this year for my 94 Landcruiser are the larger size. I also noticed that they are the same part number and size as the filter used on my 78 Ramcharger with a 318 V8.

I have some of the smaller toyota filters as well. As long as the fit and quality of the filter is there, large or small would make little or no difference it seems.

The Napa here in town had Filter Friday every week. All filters including the 1515Gold and air filters were half off. I stocked up so I havent asked if they're still doing the promotion.

Our local NAPA has it about the same time once a year I believe. Usually sale add's in the paper or word of mouth. Each NAPA must do it a bit differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom