Oil Filters “up to 04/96” vs “from 04/1996” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mez

Threads
Upon shopping for oil filters on for my 1996 FZJ80 I am seeing a difference in options for “up to 04/96” vs “from 04/1996”.

My VIN plate on driver door says 05/96 so that tells me which one to pick…

What I am wondering is -- why -- there is a delineation at that 04/96 date.

I know oil filters have discussed extensively in other threads but cant find this particular detail covered.
Thanks,
Noobie

Photo of Rock Auto options shown.
Saw similar info on walmart.com when I shopping Mobil 1 filters: 310A for before 04/96 vs 102A for after 04/96.

Oil Filter Options Rock Auto.png

Upon shopping for oil filters on for my 1996 FZJ80 I am seeing a difference in options for “up to 04/96” vs “from 04/1996”.

My VIN plate on driver door says 05/96 so that tells me which one to pick…

What I am wondering is -- why -- there is a delineation at that 04/96 date.

I know oil filters have discussed extensively in other threads but cant find this particular detail covered.
Thanks,
Noobie

Photo of Rock Auto options shown.
Saw similar info on walmart.com when I shopping Mobil 1 filters: 310A for before 04/96 vs 102A for after 04/96.

View attachment 3228343
Due to internals in the oil filter.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Wix. There have been multiple proven engine failures due to these.

Buy Toyota oil filters from Toyota (I buy 10 at a time) from McGeorge Toyota along with the plug gasket for less than what you are seeing for these filters on RockAuto.

I use what Toyota recommends (YZZD3) on my 96 (8/95)

If you don't know, go to www.partsouq.com, enter your VIN and then find the oil filter and you will have the correct P/N for yours.

Apparently the change to the smaller filter size was done due to clearance issues, ie it's just a bit easier for a mechanic to remove/replace the smaller filter. Nothing changed AFAIK to the oil pressure, flow, required volume etc for the 1FZFE between the early and later years.

FWIW I've run both size filters and have seen no differences in oil pressure, but generally use the larger filter (and it is a bit more difficult to get it up and out without spilling oil all over).

But, @Mez , that's a another long discussion, try a search for 90 degree oil filter adapter.

Last edited:
Apparently the change to the smaller filter size was done due to clearance issues, ie it's just a bit easier for a mechanic to remove/replace the smaller filter. Nothing changed AFAIK to the oil pressure, flow, required volume etc for the 1FZFE between the early and later years.

FWIW I've run both size filters and have seen no differences in oil pressure, but generally use the larger filter (and it is a bit more difficult to get it up and out without spilling oil all over).

But, @Mez , that's a another long discussion, try a search for 90 degree oil filter adapter.

your first sentence about clearance and ease of change is exactly what the parts person at Toyota told me years ago

I still opt for the larger filter though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom