Oil Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just changed the oil filter by removing it with my hand. Seems like a hard place for a oil filter wrench to fit in there. Is there a tool available for removal and installing? I think I am getting a very slow leak from it being too loose; my axle is always wet with some oil droplets hanging from the axle. Any advice would be great.
thanks

I use the wrench that isn't the standard mettle loop, it is more of a claw type wrench and you can get them at any parts store. I hand tighten it and then use the wrench for a qtr turn. You have to go at the body of the filter in an angle.

Romer said:
I use the wrench that isn't the standard mettle loop, it is more of a claw type wrench and you can get them at any parts store. I hand tighten it and then use the wrench for a qtr turn. You have to go at the body of the filter in an angle.

Thank you Romer. Some thing like this?

Last edited:
You can tighten them pretty darn good by hand if you use a disposable neoprene glove. It allows for a very good grip. It won't add to strength to your hand of course, but it doesn't take much tightening to keep it from leaking.

acolella said:
my axle is always wet with some oil droplets

id say we all drop a small amount of oil on the axel when replacing the filter... some have suggested using a plastic bag to both turn loose the filter and drop the filter into when the thread fully disconnects -- ive tried and it worked well

probably the most obvious comment, but make sure to use some fresh oil on the new filter seal... after that a firm hand tighten should be fine IMO; works for me

Fram makes a filter with "sure grip" on the end of it...

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php

Works good for me. It might be a tough turn because it's an awkward angle to twist something... but if you turn wrenches with any regularity, you should be able to get that thing on and off without any tools.

El Perro Grande said:
Fram makes a filter with "sure grip" on the end of it...

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php

Works good for me. It might be a tough turn because it's an awkward angle to twist something... but if you turn wrenches with any regularity, you should be able to get that thing on and off without any tools.

Thats the filter I've been using works well, don't need any oil filter tools to get at it. Although I did use an oil filter tool to get the first one off and it was easy.

nyk438 said:
Thats the filter I've been using works well, don't need any oil filter tools to get at it. Although I did use an oil filter tool to get the first one off and it was easy.

I saw a "Fram" filter (cut open) while in a NAPA store one time. Convinced me to buy another brand right away. Piece of junk IMO.

Try a search on "oil filters" and I think you'll quit using any oil filter made by Fram. OEM filter or the NAPA gold filter seem to be the only filters worth using.

flintknapper said:
I saw a "Fram" filter (cut open) while in a NAPA store one time. Convinced me to buy another brand right away. Piece of junk IMO.

Hey flint, that's cool that you feel that way and all, but why don't you help us out a little? What didn't you like about it? What makes a good/bad oil filter on sight? What brand did you buy? What made the one you bought, better than the Fram one? THAT would be most helpful.

Admittedly, in the beginning I bought the thing "cause it was there" but I've got lots of miles on those things, my oil temp is consistant, and the oil always comes out gorgeous when I change it....

Thanks in advance.

El Perro,
I recently switched to the NAPA gold Master Pack (I believe it is part# MP1515) and Mobil 1 5W40. My startup rattle is gone. By far the best filter I have used (vs. the large and the crap small OEM types. Small one blew large dogs actually) As far as specific info on the oil filters, try doing a user search on 'Cary' and there is ample oil/filter info available. I was completely in the dark about the Fram thing also, so know you are not the first. Good luck, and post any findings you have.

Chris

94 FZJ80 139K 2.5 OME CDL Pin 7 285's DD

wix actaully makes most of all the filters, the filter design is company specific, i use to sell the actual filter media inside of the filter to wix and some german companies.

Fram bad. WIX good.

DougM

boekppl said:
Try a search on "oil filters" and I think you'll quit using any oil filter made by Fram. OEM filter or the NAPA gold filter seem to be the only filters worth using.

Great idea!!

:D

El Perro Grande said:
Hey flint, that's cool that you feel that way and all, but why don't you help us out a little? What didn't you like about it? What makes a good/bad oil filter on sight? What brand did you buy? What made the one you bought, better than the Fram one? THAT would be most helpful.

Admittedly, in the beginning I bought the thing "cause it was there" but I've got lots of miles on those things, my oil temp is consistant, and the oil always comes out gorgeous when I change it....

Thanks in advance.

Its all been discussed here before. The Fram has a very flimsy looking element inside (and not much of it). Napa had their brand, and even a Motorcraft filter cut open right beside the "Fram". The difference in quality and construction was startling. The Napa and Motorcraft filters don't cost much more, so the choice became clear to me which would be better. I am NOT saying that a "Fram" will "fail", or even that they are not "good enough" if you change them regularly. But if you run a synthetic for 7-8K miles or don't change your "dino oil" religiously, then you might want to consider a better filter. If you ever get a chance to see a new "Fram" cut open you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for clarifying because that matches up with exactly what I was thinking. I've owned my cruiser for 11 years and have personally driven it 300,000 miles and I've used Fram filters for as long as I can remember.... and I've never had any engine trouble period. Not a ping, stutter, stall, leak in a seal or gasket, nothin', and the power coming out of it is just fine. When I drain the oil, I have a magnetic plug so clean you can lick it. That's a far cry from all the problems all you educated folk with yer fancy filters are havin', or so I read :flipoff2: . Just like you pointed out though... it's a '94 I bought in '94 and the first thing I did was put M1 in it and change it every 5k or so. I'd certainly attribute the success to M1 before the Fram filter... all that being said, thanks for the info. I'm doing Napa from here out. It makes NO sense to buy premium oil and buy a crap filter. I love this board, y'all rule. :cheers:

Just for fun you should cut a Fram open and a Toyota or Wix open and look at the difference.

I wager you will be a bit surprised.....

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom