Oil filter selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zcruiser

Needs monitoring
Threads
Time to start changing all the fluids in my new rig. I've been using Purolator filters in my other vehicles, but came across these filters on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7983813019

l30001x6.jpg

Anyone with any experience with these filters? Or should I just go to the Toyota parts counter and buy OEM?

...and don't say "buy Fram, they're the best!", or I'll know for sure that you're taking advantage of the noob!

Those almost look like the cheap filters I bought by my Subaru a few years back. They were made in Thailand, or somewhere like that, they were ok filters, but not the best. Purolators are the best filters out there as far as I am concerned...

Filters are not expensive, relatively speaking, changing oil in mornin' and just bought K&N for $11 bucks. K&N has good reputation so I spurged. Fram heavy duty is good also.

Also Purolator is good brand but the one for the 2F is very small......I just can't covince myself that that little filter is the best.

If you have CarQuest near you, buy their filters. Same as OEM (Wix). Slightly cheaper.
If not, go OEM or not at all. If you're committed to changing your own oil, buy by the case. Works out cheaper that way.
And at some point, Toyota switched to a smaller filter on the 60 2F.

We use Wix or Racor on our entire fleet (except for the Cats, which use proprietary filters) and have never had an oil-related failure. We even had one truck go 20k miles on one oil change. (Stupid operators.)

Frams suck. Too large a filtering medium. Doesn't trap enough particulates.
STPs (what we used before switching to Wix) have a habit of blowing off the engine or bursting.

If you want the best filtration you can buy, get this set up.

By pass filtration

I use it on all my vehicles. A normal engine oil filter filters to around 20 microns. An Amsoil bypass filter filters to less than one!

that bypass is sweet....What it cost?

Bypass setup looks great, especially considering the mounting position of the 3F oil filter. I haven't changed my oil yet, but how the heck do you get that thing off without dumping a quart of oil on the ground???

zcruiser said:
Bypass setup looks great, especially considering the mounting position of the 3F oil filter. I haven't changed my oil yet, but how the heck do you get that thing off without dumping a quart of oil on the ground???

OEM, Wix, or Mobile 1. I never seem to drip alot when I change it. I'm sure the bypass setup is nice, but you already have aprox. 2 gallons of oil. I think that is plenty IMHO.

zcruiser said:
I haven't changed my oil yet, but how the heck do you get that thing off without dumping a quart of oil on the ground???

If you have the time, punch a hole or two into the filter, let drain overnight, filter comes off bone dry in the morning. For the price, can't go wrong with OEM filters. Also pick up a OEM filter wrench and extra long socket extension to make this a one hand tied behind back job.

There was a test done a while back by someone. Don't remember much about it but I do remember that the Delco scored the highest and Fram the lowest. They had used a large variety of popular filters.

CRUISERB1RD said:
If you have the time, punch a hole or two into the filter, let drain overnight, filter comes off bone dry in the morning. For the price, can't go wrong with OEM filters. Also pick up a OEM filter wrench and extra long socket extension to make this a one hand tied behind back job.

Just to make sure I got it straight -- by punching a couple holes in the top of the filter, the oil inside the filter can drain down through the pan? That's just too easy!

zcruiser said:
Just to make sure I got it straight -- by punching a couple holes in the top of the filter, the oil inside the filter can drain down through the pan? That's just too easy!

The holes release the pressure. That plus letting it drain overnight does the trick!

HZJ60 Guy said:
If you want the best filtration you can buy, get this set up.

By pass filtration

I use it on all my vehicles. A normal engine oil filter filters to around 20 microns. An Amsoil bypass filter filters to less than one!

you have this kit in your HZ engine .. ? withone you use . ?

I can find some catalog or replacement part in thje amsoil page, to my 2H engine.

swank60 said:
Gotta go ahead and mention the NAPA Gold here, too. Good filter - I've been very pleased with it.

Napa gold is made by Wix.

Obviously better filtering is optimal.
As for the 1 micron filtering is that really such a good idea! Unless you are on the ball with maintenance don't even consider it. Oil starvation is hard in on engine and if you don't keep an eye on your delta pressure that 1 micron filter will plug up and you will be screwed. It is great if you are meticulous with maintenance and a very hands on owner but not good for everyone.

silvercrusher said:

As for the 1 micron filtering is that really such a good idea! Unless you are on the ball with maintenance don't even consider it. Oil starvation is hard in on engine and if you don't keep an eye on your delta pressure that 1 micron filter will plug up and you will be screwed. It is great if you are meticulous with maintenance and a very hands on owner but not good for everyone.

Bypass bypass bypass! That isnt an issue with a bypass filter set up. The oil travels through the normal engine oil filter every 40 seconds or so. Then it takes roughly five minutes to travel through the bypass filter.

silvercrusher said:

Good point, but being fairly meticulous I won't worry about that. Would be interesting to know what my delta pressure is, guess you can hook up identical oil pressure gauges on both sides of the filter and watch difference to monitor its cleanliness? Sounds similar to a system used to monitor air filters on HVAC systems...

HZJ60 Guy said:
Bypass bypass bypass! That isnt an issue with a bypass filter set up. The oil travels through the normal engine oil filter every 40 seconds or so. Then it takes roughly five minutes to travel through the bypass filter.

Is there somewhere that i can see actual specs and operation can't seem to find any on the amsoil webpage. So if what you are saying is there are two routes open for the oil to flow to two different size filters how does oil ever go through the bypass. It will always take the path of least resistance. Is there a check valve or directional control valve of some sort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom