Oil filter sanity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’d normally search for a couple of days first, but consider there was only one way to take this photo...well, you know.

I’ve checked the reference least a dozen times. Had my wife read it as a backup.

How is this the correct filter?! Black is a Mobil 1 replacement, white one is just removed. This isn’t even close.
image.jpg

There is large and or small filter you can use, stock 93 94 used the large 95 and up used the smaller. Either will work

Sounds good. 👍🏻 The gasket does measure the same, but the M1 is even larger than it seems in the photo.
As long as it seals, I’m obviously happy. This is certainly one I’ve never seen before in 30+ years of changing my own oil!

Indeed - 301A. To be fair, it could also be that the existing one from the PO was abnormal and this one is fine.

No leaks, and no apparent issue with capacity according to the dipstick. So I think all is well.

On to more reading - I have some cringeworthy Birfs that need attention next. 😬

Sounds good. 👍🏻 The gasket does measure the same, but the M1 is even larger than it seems in the photo.
As long as it seals, I’m obviously happy. This is certainly one I’ve never seen before in 30+ years of changing my own oil!

Same thing with the MotorCraft Filters I run on my 100 series and 80 series.

I use the FL1A on my 80 series (for increased capacity) BUT....could run the FL400S on it too.

Physically the FL1A is MUCH larger, but they share the same thread size and gasket size though optically they look different.

Compare1.jpg

Compare2.jpg

Compare3.jpg

I'd wager the Havoline Filter in your post is made by Purolator (same as the MotorCraft) and is likely a FL400 size.

This is a can of worms topic but if you plan to own the Cruiser for a while, NAPA's annual sale is coming up and I think it's the #1515 that I order during the sale as a "pro pack" or something where it arrives as a dozen or so just individually wrapped in clear plastic in a cardboard box - no filter box. It's the (WIX) Napa Gold filter so a great one and when you catch it on sale and buy like this it's a super deal. Of course in this day and age someone's going to jump on here that Amazon has them for even less or something in 3...2....1...

This is a can of worms topic but if you plan to own the Cruiser for a while, NAPA's annual sale is coming up and I think it's the #1515 that I order during the sale as a "pro pack" or something where it arrives as a dozen or so just individually wrapped in clear plastic in a cardboard box - no filter box. It's the (WIX) Napa Gold filter so a great one and when you catch it on sale and buy like this it's a super deal. Of course in this day and age someone's going to jump on here that Amazon has them for even less or something in 3...2....1...
No.

Gonna tell you not to buy that filter due to the failures it's seen from Wix.

I used to be a Wix guy all the way, but seeing 10-12 failures directly oil filter related to one part number? Not anymore.

I switched to Toyota YZZD3.

Last edited:
No.

Gonna tell you not to buy that filter due to the failures it's seen from Wix.

I used to be a Wix guy all the way, but seeing 10-12 failures directly oil filter related to one parts number? Not anymore.

I switched to Toyota YZZD3.
^^ this ^^

@flintknapper that looks like a spot on comparison. So long as it works, who am I to judge - I guess my only remaining question is does the massive difference in physical size affect oil capacity? (I can’t imagine it would be more than 0.5qt, but still curious.)

@flintknapper that looks like a spot on comparison. So long as it works, who am I to judge - I guess my only remaining question is does the massive difference in physical size affect oil capacity? (I can’t imagine it would be more than 0.5qt, but still curious.)
^^^^

Marginally....I'm sure. But I want all I can get. Also....I like to have the increase in filter media, as I run synthetic oil in my engine and typically leave it in there anywhere from 6-8K miles....sometimes a bit more.

I've had my cruiser (97 model) since the year 2000 and have done literally ALL of the maintenance on it. I started using the MotorCraft filter about 15 years ago.

I have 325K miles on it now....so hopefully my choice of oil filter is working out. I live in a hot climate (Texas), so I want the 'Lifes Blood' of the engine (the oil) to do as well as it can.

Even if the difference is small.....I try to do all I can to ensure the engine runs as cool and smoothly as possible. The oil being only part of the 'system' that achieves that.

So...only had my 80 for just over a year. 225K on the miles meter. Running Castrol GTX 10W-30 high mileage synthetic blend. I also have the larger high capacity oil filter. Do you all recommend a change to full synthetic? Assume no with the miles it already has?

From my understanding Toyota switched to the smaller filter due to start up rattle, I run the smaller yota filter. Stay away from the napa or wix also. Which is what I had on my 94 that started my engine noise

So...only had my 80 for just over a year. 225K on the miles meter. Running Castrol GTX 10W-30 high mileage synthetic blend. I also have the larger high capacity oil filter. Do you all recommend a change to full synthetic? Assume no with the miles it already has?

No....you are fine. Change the oil at regular intervals and use a GOOD filter. The appearance of the oil on the dipstick will give you some idea of when it is starting to get dirty or breaking down. Each of us use our vehicles differently....so we can't recommend hard/fast intervals.

A well maintained 1FZ-FE can go twice the mileage you have on yours now. Though a head gasket (if not previously replaced) could be somewhere in your future. Mine lasted 316K miles before giving up.

No....you are fine. Change the oil at regular intervals and use a GOOD filter. The appearance of the oil on the dipstick will give you some idea of when it is starting to get dirty or breaking down. Each of us use our vehicles differently....so we can't recommend hard/fast intervals.

A well maintained 1FZ-FE can go twice the mileage you have on yours now. Though a head gasket (if not previously replaced) could be somewhere in your future. Mine lasted 316K miles before giving up.
Head job completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom