oil filter sandwich plate suitable for a 1HZ, and question regarding tach sensor on mechanical injector pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Golden Boy ("GB") has been in Virginia for a couple of weeks now, and I'm starting to get my hands dirty. GB has at least 560K km on the clock and has obviously knocked around quite a bit. The water temp gauge does not work, and the oil pressure idiot light is lit sometimes and sometimes only dimly lit. GB's dash does not have a tach or an oil pressure gauge, sadly. And I'm quite suspicious that the on-off, oil pressure sensor may be busted. In any event, I'd like to add oil pressure and oil temperature gauges, as well as a a tach.

Tackling one at a time, I was thinking to put in an oil filter sandwich with NPT plugs in it that will accept standard oil pressure and oil temperature sensors. I had success with that with a 2.8 liter R22 petrol model 77, but after a bunch of searching I'm stumped in terms of finding a sandwich for the 1HZ.

I think I've established that:

The OEM oil filter is a 90915-30002, and this oil filter is 119mm high by 102mm in diameter, with an M24 x 1.5mm thread

I can't seem to find a sandwich plate that comes with an M24 x 1.5mm adapter. I have found an oil filter bypass sandwich plate for use with a remote oil cooler, but that's not what I want to do.

Regarding adding a tach, I noticed that the mechanical diesel injection pump has a pickup sensor on the side closest to the engine block:

1611989438345.png

1611989582278.png

Near as I can tell, it is unused. But am I wrong about that? Does it do anything if you don't happen to have a tachometer on the dash?

I'd appreciate any advice about this. Alternatively, if there is a good place to put a tach sensor on a 1HZ if I should not use this sensor.

I'm just starting out on the 1HZ....and this is also my first diesel. Thanks in advance for advice.

Little bit of an update. I did find this item on ebay:

It is for a 1HD, which would seem to me like it ought to work. I've sent them a message to ask them if they think it will work for the 1HZ.

The postage at 47 AUD seems horribly high however. The issue seems to be finding a sandwich plate adapter that has M24 x 1.5mm thread.

Any thoughts?

What about putting in a tee where the factory oil pressure switch is? Or, if the factory one isn't working, just replace it with the sender for the aftermarket gauge.

What about putting in a tee where the factory oil pressure switch is? Or, if the factory one isn't working, just replace it with the sender for the aftermarket gauge.
Well, I thought about that. I decided I would prefer to leave the idiot light pressure switch in place (and hopefully fix it). Regarding a tee, some of my reading suggested that Mr. Toyoda's sensors had an odd thread, and moreover I'd like to do oil temp too, which would not work with a tee. If you know more about the Toyota threads and possible tee's I'd love to hear about it.

I also did a little more searching today and found this:

I think this will work, and I've emailed them to ask. I've never heard of these guys. I don't know if they are Canadian or what. They have a lot of stuff, but it kind of looks like an Aliexpress reseller. Kind of leery. I'd be grateful to know if anyone out there had had any experience with them.

The Toyota sending units use a BSPT thread, I don't remember which size. It's not terribly common, but there are adapters to go to NPT or metric thread.

Yeah, used a tee to feed my turbo on my 1HZ. I got it from Mambatec. No problems tee off of the pressure sender.

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at the situation again yesterday. I'm pretty sure that Golden Boy got a new cab at some point and the wiring harness may not be original. What appears to be the connector for the oil pressure idiot light has two pins in it, which I think is what is used for the oil pressure sender, which would indicate that the harness is for a truck that has the oil pressure gauge and tach. The oil pressure switch screwed into the block has only a single pin and is round, rather than the oblong 2-pin plug on the harness.

I think the sandwich plate still looks to be the best option for my particular situation. I just wish I knew more about this https://www.mngjco.top/ outfit that seems to be the only place saying it has the 24mm x 1.5 adapter. Feels kind of iffy.

I think the sandwich plate still looks to be the best option for my particular situation. I just wish I knew more about this https://www.mngjco.top/ outfit that seems to be the only place saying it has the 24mm x 1.5 adapter. Feels kind of iffy.
John did you end up going with an adaptor plate I'm in Australia and am struggling to find an elegant solution for an extra gauge and turbo oil feed

No, not yet, KK. I'm back in Dubai again. I tried a bunch of times to contact mngjco or to order online. I'm not sure the damn site is even alive anymore. I can't reach it any more from the UAE at least. At this point I'm kind of suspicious of the site.

Just a couple of days ago I drove the Omani diesel 80 for the first time, and it has no indicated oil pressure. I have not started trying to figure out what the problem is. But in any event I still want to add a secondary and 'real' oil pressure measure. I proved to myself that using stand alone sensors work, which I suppose was obvious, but I had not actually done before. Please post if you find someone who will actually sell you the thing! I now want to buy 3.

The tee is easy to do and has worked great on two of my trucks. In this pic, the tee is used as an oil supply to my turbo on my 1HZ and also for the factory oil pressure sender.

1621430471222.png

The big part of the reason why I favored the pancake approach is that I also wanted to have an oil temperature gauge. And that I don't think would work off of the T. But I acknowledge the T approach is definitely workable for the oil pressure. And I might end up doing that if I can't find the right kind of pancake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom