Oil Filter Concern for switching to Synthetic Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxm

Threads
I am thinking to switch to synthetic oil for my 2007 Sienna. I drive less than 10K miles a year. I am currently doing the oil changes on every 6 month interval (I don't hit 5K during 6 month period). So to me the one of benefits of switch synthetic is that I can push the oil change schedule to a year (instead of every 6 month). But that what about the oil filter, can it live up to the new schedule? :confused: (I don't think 3rd party oil filter is an option, as the Sienna 2007+ uses paper type filter.).

Suggestion appreciated.

Last edited:
I would think so, it's only filtering out crud which you really shouldn't have. When I was a kid, they used to recommend changing filters every other oil change, so I'd say it'd be fine unless you're driving in some real dusty conditions.

This is cheap ins.(oil) why push it? 2 cents Mike

I've got an 2004 Sienna, and I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 since the beginning. I originally started out with the OEM filters, but for the last 3 years moved to the Mobil-1 filters. I put low mileage the last few years (4-7k), and Have been doing the oil changes in the 8-12month range.

note: my fsm indicates 5k/6month oil changes for normal usage, and up to 1 year with low mileage, provided it is not extreme cold, or dusty conditions. Our Sienna gets the prime spot in the insulated garage, and doesn't get out in the dusty conditions too much.

Just as an update since eurotek88 brought the old thread back - I have been using the synthetic for more than 2 years now. I works well with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom