Oil filter bypass 1 HD-FT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Legends! I just came across this mod, wanted to get your opinions or experience on the subject.

I have a 95 HDJ81 1HDFT

also wondering on a couple of other topics:

I was told dex II ATF is great additive on every 3rd fillup to keep turbo diesels running clean. Anyone doing this?

Also, since I don’t know the frequency of drain and fill for tranny, is it good for me to start regular drain and fill? or is it likely to cause issues on older transmission? so I’ve heard...

And one more issue, a fellow HDJ owner might have a quick answer: Where is the 4wd ECU on JDM/RHD models??

I can not find a FSM or diagram in the resources section. What a great help that would be!

Thanks for any knowledge shared, cheers!

If you use Genuine Toyota oil filters (90915-30002) then you already have both full flow and bypass filter elements on your engine!
Just regular oil changes with decent oil and OEM filters, don't muck about with additives.

Change ATF every year by dropping 4L from sump and top up.

If you use Genuine Toyota oil filters (90915-30002) then you already have both full flow and bypass filter elements on your engine!
Just regular oil changes with decent oil and OEM filters, don't muck about with additives.

Change ATF every year by dropping 4L from sump and top up.
Thanks for your response! Now if I could only find out where the 4wd ECU is located. I have asked in more than a handful of threads and yet no luck. Best of the new year to you!

HDJ81 has full time 4wd with a centre differential and viscous coupling, the only electrical components are the centre diff lock (CDL) and front/rear diff locks if you have them.

Your CDL ECU should be on right hand side of the drivers footwell, if you have cruise control it will be behind the ECU for cruise control.

Last edited:
HDJ81 has full time 4wd with a centre differential and viscous coupling, the only electrical components are the centre diff lock (CDL) and front/rear diff locks if you have them.

Your CDL ECU should be on right hand side of the drivers footwell, if you have cruise control it will be behind the ECU for cruise control.
I do have cruise control, will take a look there. Just to be sure, we are speaking of JDM RHD model, correct? I am adding the factory diff locks. Have already done harness and axle swap. Just trying to add this:

image.jpg

Yes, HDJ81 is the JDM RHD.
Not sure where the Front/Rear difflock ECU is situated but the CDL ECU should be behind the cruise control ECU near the fuse box in drivers footwell.

Yes, HDJ81 is the JDM RHD.
Not sure where the Front/Rear difflock ECU is situated but the CDL ECU should be behind the cruise control ECU near the fuse box in drivers footwell.
Thank you! Maybe one day I will source a FSM could be so lucky. Cheers

I do have cruise control, will take a look there. Just to be sure, we are speaking of JDM RHD model, correct? I am adding the factory diff locks. Have already done harness and axle swap. Just trying to add this:

View attachment 2880937

Screenshot_20220101-212425_Brave.jpg

Searching that part number, its specific to LHD models.
Not sure why. Maybe about bracket shape, orientation, fixing locations etc
I think its likely to have the same function

View attachment 2881412

View attachment 2881412

Whoa! That diagram is where I keep thinking it should be, basically the opposite of my LX. I see two screws and space to mount but not seeing the harness plug. Will have to look again. When I did this on the LX, there was a box in place, I then swapped with the one from donor vehicle. The diagram is for RHD HDJ though right? Thanks for the image. If you think of anything I missed, let me know

They hid the wiring connectors really well. I don’t see a female plug anywhere.

That sucks. Maybe not there. I know for some models, the harness was there, doesn't mean it's true for all models, or all markets.

I had a buddy in Australia that retro fitted elockers in his Australian market 80, and the harness was there for the ECU, and to the front and rear of the vehicle. He only had to source the drop to the diff

That sucks. Maybe not there. I know for some models, the harness was there, doesn't mean it's true for all models, or all markets.

I had a buddy in Australia that retro fitted elockers in his Australian market 80, and the harness was there for the ECU, and to the front and rear of the vehicle. He only had to source the drop to the diff
How would I see, from the where desired connector should be, to where it goes in next junction? It may be on another vehicle or how to find the missing segment

does it come from above below forward, etc?

If you look at pics Nemesis posted in the FSM thread, the connector may be tucked away into one of the holes in the A pillar structure.

If the connector for the ECU is there at the A pillar, the connector for the harness to go from frame to front diff will also be there, and the connector for the locker switch dial will be behind the dash.

Rear harness configuration varied from year to year. I believe some have provision for the rear diff lock harness, but not all.

If you look at pics Nemesis posted in the FSM thread, the connector may be tucked away into one of the holes in the A pillar structure.

If the connector for the ECU is there at the A pillar, the connector for the harness to go from frame to front diff will also be there, and the connector for the locker switch dial will be behind the dash.

Rear harness configuration varied from year to year. I believe some have provision for the rear diff lock harness, but not all.
the switch dial was there. I plugged it in. so the hole on a frame is packed with connectors tightly surrounded with the edge guard correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom