Oil, Filter and change interval question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What oil do you use in your 4.7 V8? example-Castrol GTX 5w30.

What Filter do you use? example-Toyota 20004

What oil change interval do you use? example-5000 miles

Your experience with this oil and change interval? Do you think synthetic is needed in the 4.7 V8? How many miles on your 4.7 V8?

Thanks for the information, just trying to see what most like to use and what works best on the 4.7 V8.

I used a WIX filter, changed it at 2500 miles.......prolly way sooner than needed.......but I have yet to have an engine problems with any of my cruiser..........so I'll stick with being overly anal.

think I used 5-30, prolly Vavoline..........hard to remember ;)

my fat ass doesn't fit under the 100, damn running boards and then you have to fnd the little covers for the filter access and the oil pan....had to pull the plug by feel ;)

I use Mobil 1 Syn every 6K miles in both of my 100's. 70k miles on both and have only had to replace 1 battery (at about 50K) in each. I also run Synthentic in the Tranny and difs (amsoil).

Hey Pimp, I built some simple blocks to use when I change the oil. I drive the front two wheels up on them (about 4 inches) and it gives me plenty of room under there (don't forget to put blocks under the back tires).

What oil do you use in your 4.7 V8?
Mobil 1 5W30

What Filter do you use?
Mobil 1 (M1-102 I think)

What oil change interval do you use?
I am on the 2nd of back-to-back 8k mile intervals. I will be sending a sample form the second interval to blackstone and post reults.
Your experience with this oil and change interval?
Limited experience but I do not think it is too much. Frequent level checks have revealed no perceptible consumption on my part.

Do you think synthetic is needed in the 4.7 V8? How many miles on your 4.7 V8?
Doubt it is needed but I plan on running it into the ground unless something happens to change my plans. Currently at 103k miles or so.

Tad

There have been a few UOA's of these engines and they are very good on oil. My recommendation would be:

Mobil 1 5w-30, 10w-30 or 0w-40 with the factory filter changed every 7500 miles.

Cary

I have decided to run the 7500 mile interval using M1 full synthetic oil and the Japanese-made OEM oil filter on my 100.

To do an oil change yesterday, after draining the oil, changing the oil filter and getting ready to pour the new oil in, I realized that I had mistakenly bought 5w-20 instead of 5w-30 that I usually put in.

Question: Could I have used 5w-20? Ideas?

First of all, this thread is 3 years old:D

Second of all, I would exchange the oil for the correct stuff.

Third of all, I would do a 10,000 mile interval with the M1 full synthetic motor oil because that is what I'm doing;)

I do 10k mile int. with Mobil 1 5W 30 and Toyota filter.

-Mark

Calamari,

The reason I am planning on doing 7500 intervals instead of 10k is only due to the fact that when I exchanged the oil after 7500 miles, it looked a bit burnt.

I did not put the 5w-20 oil in. I went to the store and got some 5w-30 (and no I did not drive the 100 with no oil in it).

Calamari,

The reason I am planning on doing 7500 intervals instead of 10k is only due to the fact that when I exchanged the oil after 7500 miles, it looked a bit burnt.

I did not put the 5w-20 oil in. I went to the store and got some 5w-30 (and no I did not drive the 100 with no oil in it).

There is a used oil analysis on www.bobistheoilguy.com that has a 100 series doing 12K with mobil 1 5 w 30 and the UOA is great. But I never could go more the 7500 miles because I'm an old guy and I use to do them every 3K miles and its hard for old dogs to change.

I use the M1 oil and filter also. I did my first two changes at 5k OCI. Now I am going 10K on the third. The whole idea for me is not to do the oil change so I use synthetics to extend the OCI period. With the knowledge of the UOA for the engine it makes even more sense.

M1 5/30w every 5,000 buy at Costco, cheep.
Toyota OEM filter.
At 40k, no leaks, no consumption.
Perfect so far.

Probably could have used the 5w-20 without issue but it's safer to go with the spec'd 5w-30.

It's perfectly fine for the oil to be black at the change and the UOAs are showing that it's probably a waste to change any oil out at the 7500 interval in the 2UZ.

Those of you willing to spend the change on the M1 filter in order to get the best should also consider the Amsoil EaO filters. They use a new filter media technology from Donaldson that allows for much better filtration with great flow too. The best of both worlds. They're designed for 25,000 mile OCIs.

I still use Toyota OEM.

Mobile 1 5W-30 vs. 5W-30 Truck and SUV?

I just saw this stuff in a store and did not see it mentioned. Anyone?

I use the M1 oil and filter also. I did my first two changes at 5k OCI. Now I am going 10K on the third. The whole idea for me is not to do the oil change so I use synthetics to extend the OCI period. With the knowledge of the UOA for the engine it makes even more sense.

Ever worry about your warranty with the oversized tires and now going to the extended OCI?

Ever worry about your warranty with the oversized tires and now going to the extended OCI?

Regarding the oil it has crossed my mind, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

I still have the old tires. This doesn't keep me up either.

I know, i know- how ya going to prove you did the oil change at the required spec? I think if you show your documentation- receipts, maintanence log along with all of the greasy pages........who knows, they might actually beleive you did some work. Like I said it doesn't keep me up at night.

Regarding the oil it has crossed my mind, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

I still have the old tires. This doesn't keep me up either.

I know, i know- how ya going to prove you did the oil change at the required spec? I think if you show your documentation- receipts, maintanence log along with all of the greasy pages........who knows, they might actually beleive you did some work. Like I said it doesn't keep me up at night.

Doubt it will ever be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom