oil covered clutch... lookin for quick fix!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, 87 runner, my clutch is covered in oil and i know i have a bad seal with the bearing retainer... my problem is i dont have another vehicle to use while i work on this problem, so im lookin for a quick fix till i can get a good weekened to work on it... right now im just limpin it along and free floatin the gears,is there a good way to try and clean the clutch up without removing the trans at all?

I have no idea if it would Kip the clutch itself but you could try spraying it with brake cleaner if you can get in there. Not sure how the heat of the clutch will affect it if any. Really just a thought:meh: and if it is a bad one, someone please chime in.

The only way to get access to the clutch is thru the clutch fork hole, not very big. I wouldn't spray brake clean on it, I would think it would really make things worse. Ya gotta drop the trans.

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

^ Pretty much. If you were to use brake clean (or even White Lightening Metal Prep/Clean Streak) you'd still need to go to all the trouble of multiple sprays and then having to bake out the left over oil and cleaner in an oven at 200 degrees for an hour.

By then you're better off buying a new clutch anyhow.

oil leak

first find where your leak is,if leak is inside bellhousing it could be your rear main seal or your input seal to your trans.buy everything that you would need and get it done over the weekend you can always return unused parts.goodluck:)

I agree with the general consensus, there really isn't a way to deal with it on the sly.

I really agree with Viperghd, it could be the rear main, or the tranny front main seals. Main seals are an easy fix, but if it's the tranny seal, don't even drive it until it's fixed - if it's leaked enough gear oil, it'll just come unglued internally.

Sniff around (literally) does it smell like motor oil, or gear oil?

I do know that it's the front seal, the one thats on the bearing retainer as stated, and I'm aware there's not much of an area to get at it, I found a can of Gunk engine degreaser in my garage, could I use that at all?

I found a can of Gunk engine degreaser in my garage, could I use that at all?

Sure, use it at your own peril, ignore all the advice given here. That stuff is meant to be sprayed on a warm engine, then hosed off, it leaves a film. Your clutch would probably completely stop gripping if that goop got on it.

I don't think it can be the rear main seal, the oil would somehow have to get past the rear cover plate, then around the flywheel and creep backwards into the clutch. Centrifugal force of the spinning flywheel wouldn't let that happen.

Easy to confirm, peel back the rubber boot around the clutch fork, stick your finger in and wipe some off the clutch/bell housing. It it stinks like gear oil, there ya go.

While it's bound to make a mess, I know people who have had some luck getting clutches to stick using Coca Cola, periodically pouring some right on the clutch. Not sure how you would get it in there though.

Maybe you could do the Diet Pepsi and Mentos thing? :)

I don't think it can be the rear main seal, the oil would somehow have to get past the rear cover plate, then around the flywheel and creep backwards into the clutch. Centrifugal force of the spinning flywheel wouldn't let that happen.

I'm inclined to agree.
My rear main seal bought the farm a couple months back, and I only ended up with a misting of oil across the back of the disc from whatever blew through.
If it's bad enough to obstruct clutch movement...

ok, I'm not ignoring the advice, so far all that was mentioned was brake clean, this stuff is different, I said it's gear oil from my trans twice, two reasons lead me to know this, 1. my oil level is still the same from when I first noticed it happen, 2. my trans was 3/4 of a quart low from th last time I checked a few months ago. all I'm asking is if there is any kind of cleaner I can use to clean it up at all? any at all that I can use that won't damage the clutch at all? thats all i want to know cuz again i know whats leaking and from where

get some brake clean and spray it in there. Its probably not going to gain MUCH but it should work. Brake clean will clean then evaporate quickly leaving no residue.

and usually when I do a clutch on a 22r I pull the motor, but thats me I find it easier. then you can leave the trans on there and service it...

my 2c

edit: Ive done a clutch in 1day on a saturday before, but mine was a 85 carb 22r so thatd be a little easier then an RE if yours is injected

If you are going to try anything I'd hold the clutch pedal down with a stick while you do it, that way it has a chance of getting into the clutch surface.... Good luck! it only takes me about 5 hours to swap a clutch.... :cheers:

I had the chance of replacing the clutch in my truck twice in the same month (on my back)first try was about seven hours the second time less than 5.:D

No idea on any idea for cleaning it up to limp around awhile longer. However a leaky rear main can most certainly get to your clutch. My truck is proof. I didn't have time for mine either and kept milking it as long as possible. Mine got really bad and was barely drivable it was so soaked with oil and worn. Ended up taking it to a friend who said it was the worst he's ever seen and the oil probably save my flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom