Oil coolers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I searched this board and the SOR forums so hopefully this question hasn't been beaten to death...

Whats the general opinion on oil coolers, who's using one, and is it a DIY install for an mildly experienced wrencher such as myself?

I'm still shopping for a low mileage 97' with lockers, so in the meantime I'm researching mods that will maximize the lifespan. Oil cooler seems like cheap insurance if it is a DIY install. Maybe the better question is, for $200, why shouldn't I install and oil cooler?

Your rig has an oil cooler already. Look under the exhaust manifold on the USA passenger's side of the block.

I can give a few reasons not to use a cooler. 1) Potential for leaks, and 2) you must have a thermostat on the cooler or else you may never get the oil to operating tempurature. I wouldn't worry about there being oil breakdown problems as the engine is not a high stress, hi temp motor. Use a good quality oil (preferably synthetic) and don't worry about it.

Cary

how about a beefed up tranny cooler? ::)

The first step, prior to installing additional coolers, oil or tranny, would be to ascertain if there is a cooling problem. The best way to do that is to install accurate engine oil and trany fluid temp gauges. The likely candidates for additional cooling would be owners who operate the truck with very heavy loads, in very hot climates, climbing steep hills. Somebody towing a heavy trailer or boat out west in the mountains would be an example. Start with the guages and only do more if actually needed.

Hey, I tow a 6000 lb boat trailer and live in the mountains out west! Keep in mind you have a tranny overheat light that will illuminate on your dash if the tranny's getting too hot. In perhaps 13,000 miles of towing over 10 years, I've never had it come on. I simply change the tranny fluid every year, run premium while towing, keep my cooling system in top shape and use synthetics throughout to minimize friction/heat. Spend your money on top grade consumables (oil/grease/coolant/maintenance) rather than adding something to a well designed system.

IdahoDoug

Valid points all, but 'ol anal me went ahead and added an engine oil cooler anyway, just before I installed the S/C. IMHO, the oil jets aimed up at the bottom of the pistons are absolutely crucial to the longevity of a S/C'ed engine, and I want to do everything I can to help them do their job. So, despite my genuine awe for the engineering of these amazing vehicles, I just have to believe it's possible to improve on an oil cooler located under the exhaust manifold - (my pyrometer hits 1525-1550 deg on a fast uphill run if I let it). Just a peace of mind thing, probably driven by my good experiences with turbodiesels. For perspective - I only bought GWT about six months ago at 92K miles and now have 105.7 on her, so I'm just a newbie. BigMac

I guess I should have specified... I was talking about an engine oil cooler, not a tranny cooler. Thanks for everyones input.

Those sound like pretty high EGTs...just where did you place the probe? On an uphill run (5-6% grade of 5 miles) towing the trailer, I haven't seen mine go over 1425, and I don't have one of those spiffy water injector systems. :'(

Tom

Tom -
My probe is in exactly the same place as yours - per our earlier posts. No water injection, either. BigMac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom