Oil cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im finishing out the new motor and have come to a crossroad. I have no thermostat housing or waterpump. It seems that some are outfittied with fittings for an oil cooler. How important is running an oil cooler? Should I consider this option? Don't they mount to the pass side of the engine, and are there some drilled/tapped bosses for it to mount. My motor is an early '77 and I don't think it has the bosses. The oil filter mount has the place for a sending unit on it as opposed to the driver's side unit that I have on my late '74 F. Is that where the oil cooler gets the oil from?

????
Ed

Last edited:
I have an FJ60 oil cooler/oil cooler/t-stat housing on my F motor. Everything mounts using the same holes as the old stuff.

I would go ahead and do it. Cool oil is better than hot oil. The oil cooler/filter mount/pressure sender mount are all one piece that bolts to the oil filter mount holes.

You also want the hard coolant line that mounts to the valvecover, that only oil cooled 2F's have.

Bailey, would this be the one? And what years should I look for or was it an option avaiable on many years?

Ed
2F 004.jpg
2F 003.jpg

Yes, it utilizes the two holes in the first pic. It is in-line with the return from the cooler to the t-stat.
I believe it appeared on all '79+ 2F's. Not completely certain. I know for a fact it was on all FJ60's (81-87) but I am not sure about FJ40's/55's between '79 and '83. (84 FJ40 would have it for sure-same d-train as a 60)

BTW Thanks for that adapter! It's been on the truck for a few weeks now with a K&N I dug up at the shop on it. :cheers:

Cool, I was wondering if it worked out for you. So I guess I'm off to the boneyard looking for a late model 2F.

Ed

I suppose it depends on your planned use and so forth, whether it is optional or not.

This is my $5 compromise solution:
DSCN3937 (Small).JPG

Degnol said:
Cool, I was wondering if it worked out for you. So I guess I'm off to the boneyard looking for a late model 2F.

Ed

Can't really say I "can tell a difference" but my oil pressure no longer drops very low at idle after a highway trip.

I really did it all for the waterpump with fan clutch and plastic 6 blade. It moves SO MUCH more air than the 4 blade metal, and gains you a few HP when the engine is not hot. I have not bothered to get the proper radiator shroud and it still does not get any hotter than it did before.
The oil cooler will really be needed when the F gets a Garret T3/T04 :D, and it gives me a second location for the oil pressure sender, so I can use the stock F one for the turbo. :D

Dan and his old-skool partial filtration.... :frown: :D

I'm kinda partial to old school, myself. That's why I drive a 35 year-old car, instead of a new one!

oil coolers can be found on FJ40's and FJ55's as an option from 8/'76 and on. not too many had it. Also, 1976 Calif. emissions model 40/55's had oil cooler standard.

I think it helps, but it can be an expensive pain to do the re-fit.

If I were doing the conversion from scratch, I would find a 75/76 fan and pulley(no clutch), a 76 Cali spec water pump(non fan clutch, with oil cooler) and add the oil cooler from an FJ60. there is an upper and lower steel tube you will need, and a few hoses, best to get new ones, since the location of the lower ones in particular precludes them from easy replacement in the future.

Was there some reason that the oil cooler on the 2F became desirable after model year 76? Some aspect of emissions control or that? I just wondered because of the california standard and such.

Brett, why no fan clutch?

For me, it was one of the major reasons to swap it all over. I wanted to be able to ford deep water without the concern that the direct-drive fans create. Not to mention the few extra horses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom