oil cooler results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i posted pics of an oil cooler i installed a couple months ago. since that time i have been able to tap a drain plug and place an electric temp probe in my oil pan to measure oil temps in relation to water temps (have digital probe in top radiator hose) with this oil cooler. note that i have a new fan clutch. over the last 2 months i have observed the diff in temp between the water and oil when outside temps ranged between 50 and 105' and while driving on highway and cruising around town. on highway at about 80mph and 100' outside my water temp is running bw 195 with and 205 with the highest temp being 209 on a real hot day climbing a mild grade. the oil temp in these conditions consistently stays between 30 and 40 degrees less than the water temp-usually around 170. driving around town my truck never goes over 200 and the hottest the oil has got sitting in a parkinglot w/ ac on is 180'. i have found that putting cardboard over the oil coler will only get the oil 5-10 degrees hotter.
unfortunately i didn't have tha oil probe in the pan before the oil cooler was installed so there is no data to see oil temp before cooler. the oil cooler only has made 5-10 degrees of cooling diff as compared to no cooler-but i havn't had another trip to mojave since the cooler install so I cant say the cooler is a waste yet as it may be that the benefits are more realized at higher water temps. at this point i would say an oil cooler isn't worth the trouble-replace your radiator-data seems to support that this is the real answer to a hot 80 series. i still need to replace my thermastat.
i am a little concerned about running oil too cool. my next blackstone report will tell

Yeah, watch having oil that does not get fully warm. Moisture buildup is the result. It needs to get hot enough to rid itself of routine condensation.

DougM

Dusty, w/o a thermostat the oil never has a chance to reach full operating temp. It is constantly being cooled, and even with the cardboard, it still works fairly well as a heat sink... suppose you could call it a massive head start, one that is difficult to catch up. Also, the cooler should have increased your oil capacity, maybe 3/4 - 1 quart with those long feed and return lines. That's another.. what, 14%? more oil to heat up to tempterature and keep there. A 200 degree thermostatic adapter is probably needed...

i installed the mocal sandwhich adapter weeks ago and can say i can see no diff in temps with the adapter in place even driving up passes in southern utah when it is in 70's outside. i believe the thermastat is working as the cooler gets hot as hell. i wonder if the probe in the oil pan is measuring the oil at a cooler loci? oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom