Oil Cooler opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a complete oil cooler for my F.5. Have read several threads about pros and cons of having the cooler. I am still building this for cold weather so was wondering should I use it to help warm up the oil and possibly help keep it warm. Depending on where in Finland we move the temperature can easily be -40F. Will be using a clutch fan because I was thinking it might help the engine warm up a little quicker.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about having it connected in Florida (though I do run mine in Texas). Personally I think it is more of an oil temperature regulator than a "cooler"; since it uses radiator fluid to "cool", the oil temp is never going to be much less than the radiator temperature (180-210 F, depending on your thermostat and how good of condition your cooling system is in). In colder climates (and before the invention of synthetic motor oil), it helps bring the oil up to operating temperature and viscosity sooner. If Toyota or anyone else really wanted an oil cooler, they would design it to radiate heat to the ambient air, just like power steering coolers, motorcycle oil coolers, and radiators.

I do plan on a block heater. It probably would not start at -40 without one. No idea if oil cooler is good or bad in cold weather. If it does not make an improvement I would not use it. Would be less things to go wrong without it.

If your oil pan is wrapped, the block heater should be sufficient for low-vis oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom