Oil Cooler Hookup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally got the radiator out of the 97 LX450 today and have enough room to look around at things a bit better. I have oil caked everywhere from the alternator down ... maybe 1/8" thick ... it's a LOT of oil.

When I looked at the radiator initially, I found 2 hard lines that had no hoses attached, but they were deep down and I couldn't get a good look to trace the,. Now, with the radiator out, I see that they belong to a cooler on the front of the truck. I want to assume oil just because of all the oil everywhere, but both ends are open and I see no open hoses anywhere.

This is the cooler the open hard lines belong to.

The lines are in the cluster of lines on the drivers side just behind the radiator.

One line appears to go vertical and the other is angled back towards the fan. I have fingers from a vinyl glove on both lines since I was spraying things down with brake cleaner to get a better look.

Can someone tell me what this is supposed to be hooked up to and what lines should be connected please?

One of the hard lines to the same cooler seems a bit corroded where it crosses under the radiator. Should I just replace the entire cooler?

Corroded line, other line seems fine.

The paper clip looking piping below the radiator is the power steering cooler.
Look to see if yours has been bypassed.

Thanks Nugget ... just needed that nudge in the right direction. Found a join buried under the caked oil.

Zip tie holding the hoses at the metal join and the 2 hoses put together. Used an Ebay diagram for parts to see how things should connect. Now I just wonder WHY was this done. I usually have a fairly solid memory of what is done to the vehicles, but I've had this one for a long time and can't remember the cooler ever going bad. Moreover, I don't think I would ever be fine with just bypassing it and not repairing it. Even if the OEM part was expensive there a many inexpensive aftermarket coolers available.

I need to decide if I should hook it back up and see if it leaks, or do I take the cooler off and clean it up first, then see if it needs to be replaced. This oil is a real mess, want to get the truck steam cleaned so I can find the leak more easily, but need it running to do so. Another chicken and egg situation.

A Toyota peperclip PS cooler line is about $350. You can find less expensive ones, but do you have a separate oil cooler somewhere on the truck.

There are two PS lines down there. One low pressure from the reservoir and one high pressure from the pump. The HP line also hass two copper washers above a banjo fitting on the pump.

You can try Rockautp for a couple lines if you want. Or find local hydraulic hose builder.

I believe there should also be two transmission lines that go to the trans cooler in front of the radiator.

The two hoses for the cooler have been bent and clipped on a join pipe. I will have a better pic of things tomorrow. The lines appear to be intact though, as does the cooler, just not sure who or why this would have been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom