Oil Cooler for B Engine ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The B engine doesn't have an oil cooler but the oil filter assembly look really at the one on the 3B engine. Somebody can tell me if it's possible to convert the B filter assembly to put a oil/air cooler to cool down the oil when it's too hot.

I always have some problems with my oil on long trip and I don't want to always cool the oil. I really want to cool it only when it's to hot. I keep my water cooler because of that... but it's not the way to go to cool down oil.

Well here is the factory-fitted oil cooler on my 1979 BJ40 B-diesel if this helps:(The black rectangular thing in the centre of the picture.)

OilCooler.jpg

And later model 2977cc B-diesels (eg. in a 1983 BJ40) seem to have exactly the same oil cooler as the 3B engine found in a BJ42.

:cheers:
OilCooler.jpg

You certainly don't have a japan Daihatsu B motor :S. Here in canada we don't have oil cooler for B engine. I want a way to plug an oil rad with the standard oil filter if possible

Thanks a lot for the pics, that help. I will look at my motor to see the difference.

You certainly don't have a japan Daihatsu B motor....

Yes I do. (Do you want me to photograph the Diahatsu symbols cast into my cylinder block and timing cover?)

Your engine must be the same as mine and the parts you require to fit an oil cooler must be available from junk yards (overseas if not in your country).

Last edited:
Yes I do. (Do you want me to photograph the Diahatsu symbols cast into my cylinder block and timing cover?)

Your engine must be the same as mine and the parts you require to fit an oil cooler must be available from junk yards (overseas if not in your country).

Here's a pic from the EPC:

View attachment 333789

Don't need picture ;) I trust you. I think your the only one that reply the most of the time my questions.

In Canada I thinks they sell about 600 B engine only. I always have some trouble finding pieces.

The oil cooler of your picture is regulated by the valve in the oil filter assembly ? I can buy a transmission cooler air/oil for 30$ but I don't know how to plug it with the regulation system of the oil filter ... or if I can'T do that an need to buy a separate system to send the correct flow to the oil cooler :hmm:

any help will be apréciated !

...The oil cooler of your picture is regulated by the valve in the oil filter assembly ? ...

Correct and here is an illustration that shows this:

BypassOilCooler.JPG

My guess is that when my oil pressure is low, this valve passes a higher proportion through my oil cooler. (Because HOT oil tends to be of lower viscosity and escapes through bearings easier leading to lower oil pressure.)

So who know what Toyota did to your engine when they supplied it without an oil cooler? Perhaps they didn't fit any by-pass valve internals and maybe you have only a plug there?

And I suppose you must have a couple of plugs in your block where the oil would enter an leave the oil cooler (should one be fitted)?

This illustration shows which would be oil-supply and which would be oil-return if you do have plugs in that vicinity:

FlowOilCooler.JPG
FlowOilCooler.JPG
BypassOilCooler.JPG

Bizarre.. I have the oil cooler by-pass system but with no bypass valve inside :S and non oil cooler. I will look for more detail tomorow !

thanks a lot !

Rather than looking for a way to rig up an after market solution why not just order up the part from Toyota and use the OEM solution. The one on Tom's rig seems to be running fine after years of service. For me my rule of thumb is unless there are either reported problems with the OEM piece or it is no longer available I will try and go with OEM first and if not try to at least stay with a Toyota part from a later series that will work. In your case the parts for the B engine are getting scarce but this one in particular is on the 3B which are all over Canada. While impossible here. in Canada you might just get lucky and be able to get one out of the junkyard.

in Canada you might just get lucky and be able to get one out of the junkyard.

Humm... Landcruiser in junkyard ;). I called 100 junkyard... without a single cruiser. You certainly have it right when you tell me to keep it stock with toyota pieces... It's just difficult to find the pieces. The 3b oil cooler is a part of the motor... The B look external but in canada they don't sell those oil cooler with the motor. The sell about 279 B motor in 79... the do it from 79-80 in canada.

Humm... Landcruiser in junkyard ;). I called 100 junkyard... without a single cruiser. You certainly have it right when you tell me to keep it stock with toyota pieces... It's just difficult to find the pieces. The 3b oil cooler is a part of the motor... The B look external but in canada they don't sell those oil cooler with the motor. The sell about 279 B motor in 79... the do it from 79-80 in canada.

Im not Canadian so all I can suggest is that it just seems to me that everytime I'm looking for some near impossible part to find one of our Canadian brothers pipes up with "I just got one for $5 at the local pick- n- pull" I suggest that you pm some of the canadian guys on here who live near by they will be able to direct you better than I to the local salvage yards.
Good luck,
John

Pretty sure the same info in the "oil cooler for a 3B" thread applies here, since that thread covered auxillary coolers. Get an aftermarket adaptor that goes between the housing and the filter (sandwich style adptor). It's the same filter base (thread and gasket) as used in sb ford, some chrysler, jeep, etc. Should be very easy to find a kit.

FWIW, my father owns a cdn spec 79 BJ40, it doesn't have a factory cooler on it either.

15710-56010 for BJ40 oil cooler ,there is also a few bolts and gaskets that you need as well. I would look at some after market ones as well. Lots to choose from

This one on ebay is advertised as being suitable for a B but I don't think it will have the bolt holes to mount it?
OIL COOLER COVER TOYOTA DYNA ENG B 3B 11B 14B 15BF 15BFTE GENUINE

upload_2016-11-9_8-44-34.png

Well here is the factory-fitted oil cooler on my 1979 BJ40 B-diesel if this helps:(The black rectangular thing in the centre of the picture.)

View attachment 333693

And later model 2977cc B-diesels (eg. in a 1983 BJ40) seem to have exactly the same oil cooler as the 3B engine found in a BJ42.

View attachment 333693

HI GUYS , only to increase the intricate knowledge of our lovely engines : the bj40 i had was a 1979 (first registration here in italy) 24v , b engine but it had the same oil cooler like the 3b has , not like tom one's .... don't ask me why
i clearly remember but unlucky i don't have photos to show you..

i love old Toyota .....

HI GUYS , only to increase the intricate knowledge of our lovely engines : the bj40 i had was a 1979 (first registration here in italy) 24v , b engine but it had the same oil cooler like the 3b has , not like tom one's .... don't ask me why
i clearly remember but unlucky i don't have photos to show you..

i love old Toyota .....

That's interesting..

It certainly runs counter to my knowledge --- Are you sure that engine is original to the vehicle? Unless my information (that I've since disposed of due to no longer owning a 40-series) is incorrect, August 1980 should have been the first production date to receive that later-style oil cooler. (And I have always relied on Toyota themselves for the bulk of my information.)

:beer:

Hang on a minute... I've just found the brochure (August 1980 - that Toyota published to boast about the then-new 60-series it was introducing) and it says categorically that Toyota changed to the new oil cooler in August 1980:
OilCooler.jpg

(This brochure must have somehow escaped deletion on my desktop.)

Will this work with a 2B engine? Thanks.

It says B and 3B ,so I guess with the 2B being between them ,it would work. Its an Australian seller and because the 2B was not sold in Australia ,we tend to forget it exists.

That's interesting..

It certainly runs counter to my knowledge --- Are you sure that engine is original to the vehicle? Unless my information (that I've since disposed of due to no longer owning a 40-series) is incorrect, August 1980 should have been the first production date to receive that later-style oil cooler. (And I have always relied on Toyota themselves for the bulk of my information.)

:beer:

Hang on a minute... I've just found the brochure (August 1980 - that Toyota published to boast about the then-new 60-series it was introducing) and it says categorically that Toyota changed to the new oil cooler in August 1980:
View attachment 1359075

(This brochure must have somehow escaped deletion on my desktop.)

hi , no i'm not sure that the engine was original ....i believe that because the PO was and old man , friend of my father that told me he never did anything to the toy (apart manteinance) ...
but who can say....

if i see the actual owener of my old toy i'll take some picture and the number of the engine so we can know

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom