oil consumpion in the F2 engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a used F2 engine from a reputable LC parts supplier. The engine, I think, may be older than the original engine. The engine was supposed to be checked for ring wear, be honed if necessary and new rings, have a valve job performed, and inspection of the lower end bearings.

The engine has about 6500 miles since it was installed. It runs smoothly, but uses a lot of oil. I don't see anything when accelerating or decelerating. I suspect the oil is getting past the oil seals.

Here are my questions -

1. Is there a way to isolate the seals as the problem?
2. If it is the seals, can they be replaced without removing the head?

I am in southern Baja California so if the head comes off, I have to haul it back or have a mexican shop do the work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Joe

How much is alot of oil? Are you getting blue smoke out of the tailpipe? If so when? If there is no smoke then you must be leaking it. Look at the ground under where you normally park to see if there are any oil spots. The rear main seal is a usual leak spot on the 2F (not F2) engine.

You don't have to take the head off to work on oil seals with the exception of maybe valve stem seals.

Thanks for the quick reply humper99 and brian.

I see no blue smoke. I have had a person follow and no smoke. When the engine is cold, no smoke either.

The vehicle probable uses a quart every 200 miles. It may be worse than that. I am going to take a good look at the quantity this week.

There is no oil on the ground. Every thing looks clean.

Joe

Probably burning it. You can burn a LOT of oil before any smoke is noticable. If it's not burning then it;s gotta be leaking and you should see signs of it on the engine and or on the ground.

The rear main is not the most likely leak source for this engine. Side cover and oil pan bolts are often loose after any internal work has been done to the engine. They need to be retightend after a bit and few peope do this.

But if you're not seeing oil on the ground and on the engine, then it's burning. I had one that got to 2 quarts every 100 miles before it was noticable.

Mark...

I have not looked at the spark plug condition. I will pull them today. If I can find a good compression gauge, I'll check for any weak cylinders.

I'll let you know.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom