1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Change Tip

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by zklebe, Mar 8, 2004.

1. zklebe

zklebe

I've seen several comments on here about how messy it is when removing the oil filter. Here's a trick I've used for years on my 4Runner and just used on my first ever LC oil change.

Take some aluminum foil (heavy duty works best but regular is ok) pull out about a three foot length from the roll. Fold it in half so its about 18 inches long.

Fold or roll the edges on the side to give it some additional strength and mold-ability.

Then form it into a "U" channel and feed it up from underneath the vehicle.

Get the top end of the channel right up to the engine block where the oil filter connects (the tighter you form the the foil here the cleaner the out come).

Then just route the channel down past all the components and past the front axle.
    (if you form it onto some of the components it will help hold it into place).

Just slide your drain pan under the channel end and loosen the filter and let drain !

I only had a small drip of oil on the block just under the filter when I got done, easy to wipe right off.

Zach

2. Junk

Junk

Zach,
    Thanks for the info. I use cardboard and pretty much do the same thing. The only time I would not do this would be if I was in Doggie's, Shamrox's or Koffer's driveway in which case I would just let it run on their driveway :D

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">