Oil change interval difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread has me feeling like an idiot for worrying about some of the oil changes on my 2013 service history that had been done closer to 6,500 miles than 5,000 miles. Honestly would have been in a 200 Series a lot sooner if I hadn't been scared off of service histories with OCI around 7-8k.

I like what @bjowett said about the main tolerances.. It's nerve racking to me putting in such "thin" oil down here in the jungle(Florida)
I'll probably go to a thicker oil.. My motor knocks anyway.. :rofl:

It's 35 tonight in FL where I'm at.

I have been running 0w20 .. be interesting to see how many LC's and Tundras are running 5w30 and which is better?

AFAIK It is a light load engine with the best factory oil on the market. Take a look at BITOG for the analyses of the Toyota spec oil and earlier in the thread. I am a huge fan of Redline from SCCA competition and the factory oil is still better in that 'weight.'

FWIW, Blackstone report at 5,290 miles.

View attachment 2188330

Thanks for sharing, very useful data.

I'm inclined to believe that Toyota/Lexus recommending 10k mile oil change intervals on 2013+ 200s are based on science. Seemingly as how Toyota can't go back on their word/older manuals, I feel confident that 10k mile oil changes on my 2009 is within the realm of reason, as we all have the exact same engine (or so we are led to believe).

2008 LX570 with 155k miles here.

Lexus says 5000 miles with 7.4 quarts of 0W-20 or 5W-20 conventional.

Could I run synthetic and change at 10k instead?

I'm inclined to believe that Toyota/Lexus recommending 10k mile oil change intervals on 2013+ 200s are based on science. Seemingly as how Toyota can't go back on their word/older manuals, I feel confident that 10k mile oil changes on my 2009 is within the realm of reason, as we all have the exact same engine (or so we are led to believe).

I think the 'science' was always there, at least with current manufacturing tolerances and fuel injection precision leading to longer oil life. I think what changed is when manufacturers started offering no-cost maintenance it became less expensive to push out the OCIs to what was really needed.

Most owners manuals have 2 oil change intervals. For example, 10k under normal conditions, eg. Mall crusing in the city; and every 5k under extreme conditions, eg. In the desert where it is hot and dusty, in the tropics where it's hot and humid, in the artic where it's very cold and dry; towing; heavy rig...

How you are using your truck makes a big difference.

5k changes are probably unnecessary overkill for a city mouse, but the weather where I live is extreme. I'm in a high desert where there is lots of sand in the air, the air is dry, it is regularly very hot in the summer (100+) and you get less horses from your engine due to the altitude. So I do 5k changes. If I were at sea level somewhere the temps are moderate, and humidity keeps the sand and dust on the ground, I'd do 10k without a second thought, unless I spent some significant time offroading, then I'd do a 5k.

BTW, the LX motor is tuned differently to take advantage of the higher octane in premium. The LC isnt tuned for premium and gets no benefit from higher octane fuel so running it is a waste of cash.

Last edited:
FWIW the Blackstone report was during a period of towing a two axle 5k enclosed trailer over the Santiam pass from Portland to Bend several times. I would say 1,500 were with that trailer and another 1,500 were with my CDN M101 (2k loaded) on the same route. Probably severe duty per the manual.

On a brand new 200, would you bother doing an oil/filter change post break in (between 600 and 100 miles) to get rid of metal particles that may have been introduced during the break in period?

On a brand new 200, would you bother doing an oil/filter change post break in (between 600 and 100 miles) to get rid of metal particles that may have been introduced during the break in period?
No. I don't believe there is much if any, metal particles that would remain in the engine after manufacture. The filter should catch anything that might be there. I think you'd be dumping good oil for no reason.

I just bought a new 2019 GTI as a daily driver/ auotcrosser and intend to change the oil at 5000 miles (currently at 2500).

My opinion only.

For me, no. I waited till 5000 miles to change mine...and it was before road trip.

If you are paranoid, just swap out the oil filter, leaving the oil in. Once particles are trapped on-in the media they are out of circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom