Oil change ..... and some smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't intend to open the oil debate again. Just wanted to report back my experience.

We bought an FJ80 project a couple of weeks ago and have had an absolute ball working on it. The interior was wrecked (mold, spills) and the fluids have not been changed in about 4 years.

I made the following changes:
* Put new spark plugs in
* Changed the oil (put Rotella 15W40 in based on FAQ info) and oil filter
* Changed the air filter (the one in there was nasty)

Once I started it up, it puffed white smoke (not thick, but a lot of whisky white smoke). It dripped water out of the tailpipe. I thought I'd let it idle for a while, but the white smoke kept going. And the water from the tailpipe kept going. The exhaust gas just smelled like exhaust gas. No sweet smell. I put my hand in front of the tail pipe. No oil and no coolant, but I did get some soot dripping out with the water.

The engine purred like a kitten though. I checked the coolant. No oil in it. I checked the oil cap. No coolant / froth. I put my hand over the oil cap to feel for blow-by. I didn't feel any, but with the close proximity of that big fan, couldn't really feel when I lifted my hand.

So I am stumped. She has not been driven for a while before we bought her. Just drove her home about 5 miles and started work. Could it just be condensation? Old gas? Or something nefarious lurking. What else should I check?

Drive it and then drive it some more until it’s good and warm then see what’s happening. Did you notice a spark plug that looked different than the others?

Drive it and then drive it some more until it’s good and warm then see what’s happening. Did you notice a spark plug that looked different than the others?
Spark plugs all looked the same. I checked them one at a time and made sure that they were gapped properly. I did change from NGK BKR5EGP to BKR5ES though.

If you have not driven it until it’s up to operating temp for a while then that’s next.

Was just a joke suggestion to help clear out old buildup. I agree on getting it hot and driving for a good while & going from there

Last edited:
I think an Italian tuneup would be fine. Just don't thrash the engine. Rev it up to get to highway speeds and maintain about 2400-2500rpms @ 65-68mph for about 20-30 mins. Have someone in a trail vehicle to let you know what they see and hear.

What you're seeing is water vapor coming from the exhaust.

If the weather is cool and relative humidity is high, then you'll see an increase in this for a longer time until the engine and exhaust temp evaporates all water from the exhaust system as well as when it gets above the point in the combustion that it is no longer seen as water vapor.

The cats also need to get warmed up so they are doing their job.

A puff of smoke is probably due to valve seals. Mine does it on occasion. The water in the exhaust is due to the normal combustion chemical reaction.
Burn fuel >>>science>>> water and other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom