Oil capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everywhere I read, including an old users manual, says the F motor (‘66 fj40) takes 8 quarts of oil. Mine only drained 4.5 including the canister filter. Dipstick was between add and full before I drained. Anyone know what’s up with this? Been trusting the dipstick for thousands of miles and the motor hasn’t siezed up yet.

Put 8 qts in & then look at your dipstick.

Maybe there's 3.5 quarts of gunk built up inside. 😂

If you know anyone with a 40, compare your dipstick to theirs. Maybe just buy a new/used one to be sure yours isn't wrong in some way.

If you know anyone with a 40, compare your dipstick to theirs. Maybe just buy a new/used one to be sure yours isn't wrong in some way.

Might be one instance where you having a longer stick than the next guy is a problem...

Put 8 qts in & then look at your dipstick.

2+ cm higher than full mark. The dipstick sleeve is 10cm long out of the block; after checking around it looks like it should be 12.5ish. Got a new one on order. Looks like the trusty old F motor can run on half a pan of oil.

Looks like the trusty old F motor can run on half a pan of oil.

Unlike most things made today, they were way over-designed and built for longevity and reliability, even in third-world conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom