Oil by crankshaft pulley (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question: what is the "Key Way" at the end if the crank? Is that it?

Screenshot_20210612-160203_Gallery.jpg

That half circle "key" in the slot of the nose of the crank slides into the "keyway" or groove in the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:
So with all of this off, how hard is it to get the timing cover off and reseal that as well?

So with all of this off, how hard is it to get the timing cover off and reseal that as well?

Do a search for timing cover from @cruiserdan

He is on of the most knowledgeable people here and it took him 28 man hours to remove and replace the timing cover.

This is NOT an easy job unless you are intending on doing the head gasket at the same time, as you have to remove two head bolts to do it.

Also have to remove both oil pans, loosen engine mounts and raise the engine.

Do a search for timing cover from @cruiserdan

He is on of the most knowledgeable people here and it took him 28 man hours to remove and replace the timing cover.

This is NOT an easy job unless you are intending on doing the head gasket at the same time, as you have to remove two head bolts to do it.

Also have to remove both oil pans, loosen engine mounts and raise the engine.
Wow, intense. I think I'm going to spend a few days scrubbing everything clean everywhere. Then when it starts running, I can determine if the seals I replaced fixed it. If not, I can identify the actual leaks and go from there.

So the oil pump cover screws... Toyota is out of them here. Went to home depot and they had similar screws there, BUT, the top of the home depot screws are a bit smaller. Thoughts?

Also, the dealership was showing the top 3 were different than the bottom 4 but I see no difference look at all 7???

So the oil pump cover screws... Toyota is out of them here. Went to home depot and they had similar screws there, BUT, the top of the home depot screws are a bit smaller. Thoughts?

Also, the dealership was showing the top 3 were different than the bottom 4 but I see no difference look at all 7???
All 7 are the same.

Is there anyone local club members you could buy from?

Do you have time to buy from McGeorge?

All 7 are the same.

Is there anyone local club members you could buy from?

Do you have time to buy from McGeorge?
Not sure if anyone local, and yes I have time, have to wait for the fuel pump which shows up on Friday.

Not sure if anyone local, and yes I have time, have to wait for the fuel pump which shows up on Friday.
I would order from McGeorge or Partsouq. Both will be to your door about the same with Partsouq probably being faster. Order more stuff at once (rubber parts in particular) fro Partsouq to offset shipping costs.

See if you can get these hex screws that come with the wits end kit. This is the kit I used for the job. 80 Series 1FZ Oil Pump Leak Kit - https://absolute-wits-end.com/80-series-1fz-oil-pump-leak-kit/

I'm still looking for torque/hex ones but as a reference I found this. Looks like the part number for them is:

15183-66020​

Screenshot_20210614-164442_Gallery.jpg

That is the correct part number for the OEM oil pump cover screws.

Another option: see post #667 in the oil pump seal thread:

Fuel pump and sock ordered. Waiting for screws to come in and A/C belt tensioner. Then assembly starts. Maybe Friday.

Does anyone know someone in the Albuquerque area with a torque wrench for the crank bolt I can borrow?

Does anyone know someone in the Albuquerque area with a torque wrench for the crank bolt I can borrow?
When I did mine I went to Autozone and "rented" one of theirs. When I called and asked they said they didn't have one that went that high. I had to go in to get some shop towels or something and while waiting at the counter to pay I was looking at their list of rental tools and sure enough they had listed a torque wrench that went to 600ftlb so I pointed it out and asked for it. They had to look it up and get it from another store but I am pretty sure I was the 1st person to use it. It was 3/4"drive, plenty long to get the correct torque and seemed decent build quality. Might be worth giving them a try if you can't find one to borrow. Might ask a diesel mechanic as well as no one I knew that worked on cars had ever used anything that large.

Considering that American Toyota in ALBQ used to be the Mecca of Land Cruisers, one would think that SOMEONE out there would have one.......

Also, regarding the oil pump cover screws, they look to be useable to me if you need to re-use them. Everyone seems to complain about them but I found a small impact driver with a JIS #2 (not phillips head) worked fine to get the out without damage. If you haven't heard of JIS (japanese industrial standard) screw driver heads before, look it up. It has made a world of difference having a set to work on the land cruiser. Vessel is a brand that makes them and you can order a set of heads from Wits End for cheap. He may carry the screw drivers too but I can't remember.

Ok I'll go look at Toyota or auto zone today. Got the seal out and the new one in, does this look right? It's almost flush.

20210615_131540.jpg

20210615_133258.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom