Oil by crankshaft pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have lots of caked on oil around the front of the engine, crankshaft pulley and by the water pump. The oil is just in the front and doesn't run all around the head. I added some pics.

So the question is: the part the oil is coming from, is that a part I can take off and clean and put a new gasket on witthout taking off that crank pulley? Any ideas? Thanks!

20210601_210017.jpg

20210601_210004.jpg

20210601_205941.jpg

Last edited:
You could try replacing the dizzy O ring and see if that fixes it, but the crank shaft seal isn't all that hard to do. If you time it with a radiator replacement it makes things easier.

Actually....yeah an engine rebuild.

The top oil leaks are:
Distributor O-Ring
Valve cover gasket
Spark plug tube seals
Oil pump cover (behind the Harmonic balancer and you should do the front main seal while you are in there)
Power Steering reservoir
Power steering hoses
Transmission cooler hoses

Ditto all the above.

While the water pump is out now's the time to replace the oil pump cover gasket and front crank seal. The crank pulley has to come off for both, no way around it.

Super easy to replace - just make sure you have a big enough torque wrench to get it back on.

Having done this recently, do the oil pump seal, water pump and belts at the same time. Just makes sense.

And, since you've got all that stuff off, do the head gasket (kidding).

Lol zap, I thought about it. Got started today and cleaned it to get it ready. I'll clean the engine when I get it up and running

20210602_154606.jpg

the leak being high up above your crank pulley leads me to believe its your valve cover gasket and distributor O ring...change and inspect.

Then look to see if oil pump cover and crank seal are leaking...

Well the rest of the valve cover looks ok? I think it's the DO ring?
could be...put a new O ring on it and go from there..

It looks like I have to use a light to ensure the timing on it after it's changed out?

It looks like I have to use a light to ensure the timing on it after it's changed out?
Don't have to if you go about it the right way. You can have the dizzy O-ring done in about 1 hour tops and that includes removing the battery tray.

If you have no idea what you're doing, then probably not.

Rotate the engine to TDC (cylinder 1 on compression stroke and flywheel notch at the 0 mark. Pop of the dizzy cap and take a photo of where the rotor is pointing in relation to the distributor. The contact end of the rotor is probably pointing to 11 ish oclock. When you put it back in align the marks on the dizzy housing and shaft and slide the freshly lubricated o ring and shaft in nice and slow. Compare to photo and tighten the bolt. No light required...

Rotate the engine to TDC (cylinder 1 on compression stroke and flywheel notch at the 0 mark. Pop of the dizzy cap and take a photo of where the rotor is pointing in relation to the distributor. The contact end of the rotor is probably pointing to 11 ish oclock. When you put it back in align the marks on the dizzy housing and shaft and slide the freshly lubricated o ring and shaft in nice and slow. Compare to photo and tighten the bolt. No light required...
You need to mark the HEAD where the distributor slot is located so it's in the same relative place when you reinsert and rotate to match. Must use a scratch awl, not a magic marker, as that will wash off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom