Oil Burn Between Oil Changes (1 Viewer)

How much oil does your 80 use between oil changes?

• None - I own a beast

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 1/4 Quart - She takes a nip every now and then

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 1/2 Quart - She's a little better than your average woman

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 1 Whole Quart - She's a thirsty lady

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • More than a Quart - It's for sale

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My warning light will come on intermittently when the oil level gets down near the add mark which, I believe, is one quart low. This happens at oil change time any way so I have never added. This is on a 5,000 mile OCI and 274k miles on the engine.

I'm running Castrol 0W40 in my 94 with 50,000 miles on a full engine rebuild and it does't burn a measurable amount in 5,000 mi.

My 97 was using 0.5 qts every 1000 miles, fairly consistently, before the head gasket went. Oil consumption has been negligible for the last 10k miles since the repair.

This mirrors my experience with my LX450.

My 97 is burning about 1qt of 15-40 Rotella every 300 miles. No external leaks at all. I just need to figure out if its bad valve seals or piston rings. The dang HG is holding strong though. . . . .

I changed my oil for the first time since purchasing about 1,000 miles ago. With the exception of a puff of oil smoke from the valve stem seals when its cold, it hasn't moved off the full mark on the dipstick. 234K and I'm using 10W30 Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic.

My wife's burns a couple quarts between changes, 180K. It doesn't leak a considerable amount. Is the general consensus that this is normal or is this a problem?

I burn lots of oil. Always check it and top it up before trips but the engine runs like a top! Not going to worry about until the engine needs to come apart for a rebuild. 230,000 +/- miles on it.

My 97 is burning about 1qt of 15-40 Rotella every 300 miles. No external leaks at all. I just need to figure out if its bad valve seals or piston rings. The dang HG is holding strong though. . . . .

It isn't the easiest job but you can put valve seals on it without removing the head.. might be worth checking out. If it is the valve seals and leaking that much you could be gumming up the valves pretty bad.. potentially leading to issues with the seats.

My 97 with 240k burns 1 quart every 3 thousand miles like clock work. Light comes on 1 quart low then I change it ol grandpa style. Babying her to see how far she goes.

I had 15w40 Rotella in my Cruiser and it hated it. It burned 1qt probably every 2,000 miles. Since then I've switched to Mobil 1 5w40 turbo diesel with a lucus oil additive and 6,000miles later can't tell if it's burned any yet.

This might make me a terrible person but i don't really keep track of how much I add. I just top it off and go on about my day.

I really do need to change that o-ring in my distributor.....

@Proven ......what he said. it burns it so add it. Filter change every 15k or so. I am building a master plan for the next engine choice but until this one is done I will keep adding oil. Often- lol

I burn a quart every 800-1000 miles. Valve stem seals are shot. Don't have a lot of time to tear down the head, and oil is cheap. 275k miles on the clock. If the engine ever dies, it will be replaced with something with a couple more cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom