Oil Bath Air Cleaner - "Shed Find" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73FJ40

After another night of rust removal!
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been trading parts with my 83 year old neighbor who bought his first FJ40 back in the 1960's. He ran it stock for a couple years until his son somehow ran out of engine oil and seized the engine. They replaced the F engine with a SBC, which forms the basis for this 'shed find'.

The original oil bath air cleaner, only in service for a couple years, has been sitting undisturbed in the rafters of his shed for almost 50 years!

Have a look:

upload_2016-6-2_22-13-3.png

Note the yellow paint in the alignment arrows:
upload_2016-6-2_22-13-48.png

No rust in the wire mesh:
upload_2016-6-2_22-14-56.png

St
upload_2016-6-2_22-15-52.png

This would have been from a 64-67 model unless a very rare optional oil bath air cleaner on a 68 or early 69.

Perhaps he tried putting power steering on the original motor. Those look like ghetto-fab brackets to pull the air cleaner off the cylinder head and mount it to the fender. Would have wreaked havoc on the collar that fits over the carb if run that way for any length of time.

Perhaps he tried putting power steering on the original motor. Those look like ghetto-fab brackets to pull the air cleaner off the cylinder head and mount it to the fender. Would have wreaked havoc on the collar that fits over the carb if run that way for any length of time.

At least they didn't grind off the original mounting studs. That's a interesting clamp, almost looks OEM but not sure where it would be from. Any idea? I have one of these in my stash of air cleaners. Don't believe it has the yellow arrows. Need to check it out.

Neato. I've seen the alignment arrows in a vehicle before, perhaps one of the LCHM survivor Cruisers?

LCHM?

Not sure what the purpose is of the arrows. When the bracket is bolted to the head and the top of the air cleaner isover the carburetor it will only fit one way and easy to do.:meh:

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum, has 75+ Land Cruisers from FJ25 to VDJ79 and many in between.

It looks just like the one off my 65 motor. Only without the 1/2 inch of mud on it

I finally got 'the rest of the story' on the 'ghetto-fab' bracket.

It was actually installed by the dealer in 1964. The old guy bought it brand new from "Springfield (MA) Jeep" with a snow plow set-up, dealer installed. The dealer had to move the air cleaner away from the engine to hang the belt-driven hydraulic pump at the upper driver's side of the engine. So, "dealer-installed" option. :p The bracket attached to the head on one side, and the air cleaner support bracket on the other.

It looks new because the owner replaced the original carburetor with a Chevy carb within the first year. Seems he got some crud into the OEM carb and decided to begin the 'conversion' to American Iron. He ended up switching to a 235 I-6 Chevy a year or two later., then a SBC some years after that. He ran a couple of FJ40's plowing snow for the next 30 years or so, so he liked his LC's, after some "upgrades."

He's currently 'refurbishing' the one he has left, Frankenstein style.

I finally got 'the rest of the story' on the 'ghetto-fab' bracket.

It was actually installed by the dealer in 1964. The old guy bought it brand new from "Springfield (MA) Jeep" with a snow plow set-up, dealer installed. The dealer had to move the air cleaner away from the engine to hang the belt-driven hydraulic pump at the upper driver's side of the engine. So, "dealer-installed" option. :p The bracket attached to the head on one side, and the air cleaner support bracket on the other.

It looks new because the owner replaced the original carburetor with a Chevy carb within the first year. Seems he got some crud into the OEM carb and decided to begin the 'conversion' to American Iron. He ended up switching to a 235 I-6 Chevy a year or two later., then a SBC some years after that. He ran a couple of FJ40's plowing snow for the next 30 years or so, so he liked his LC's, after some "upgrades."

He's currently 'refurbishing' the one he has left, Frankenstein style.
Can you talk him into posting some pics of his build here? would be really cool to see---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom