Oil at the valve train... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
So this weekend my buddy stopped by with his 60 and wanted a crash course on cruiser tune ups. Always happy to wrench we went to work. He just got a Jim C carb and Dizzy and wanted everything else dialed in.

I figured instead of doing the valves for him id pull my 60 up to his nose to nose and we'd set the valves at the same time... and here is where the question exists. I let mine idle for about 30 mins and drove it around briefly to get everything up to temp and even oil flow. He drove about 40 mins to get to my place. With the valve cover off and idling his was spewing oil, everything was soaked at idle. Mine looks like every 2F i've ever worked on with just enough to keep everything coated in oil but by no means drenched. My oil gauge pretty much stays around the 3/4 with a little up and down motion. His gauge is elevated above that at all times.

One of our trucks is not acting like the other... Should I be concerned about his excessive oiling or my light oiling?

Both trucks located in Mid-Atlantic/ Appalachian region running 10w-40. It was about 40-50 degrees the other day but that shouldn't be an issue as we were not dealing with start up oil pressure.

Thoughts?

Really depends on what you consider "spewing oil".... Sounds like yours is right one... everything should be slick and wet but not excessive (from what I have read/learned) but if you pull the valve cover off and there are huge drops that are getting slung all over the place and what not then there is definitely something up.

Can you verify how much oil he has in his engine? Could be a simple miscalculation and having OVER FILLED the engine with oil.

@gregnash is correct.
When the 2F is idling with the valve cover off, no oil should be flinging anywhere. Just slow drips dripping off the valve rockers and rocker shaft. If you rev it, it'll splatter, but not at idle.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm thinking I might make a video of what "normal" is on these 40/60s. There always seems to be a lot of quarks with these beasts. Perhaps a control/reference would be worth while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom