oil and fluid recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in your opinions what oil weight and brand should be run throughout the 80
it's a 97 lx if that affects anything. all replys are appreciated. try looking in faq's but didn't see anything, i guess it's a given but being new to the scene i don't know.

boekppl said:
in your opinions what oil weight and brand should be run throughout the 80
it's a 97 lx if that affects anything. all replys are appreciated. try looking in faq's but didn't see anything, i guess it's a given but being new to the scene i don't know.

Uee the search function insetad of the FAQs....there are hundreds of threads about oil brands, viscosities etc.

Left you a PM (so as not to start an oil war!).

What're you guys talking about? We never discuss oil and fluids here...

:D :D :D

Welcome to the forum :flipoff2:

Here's a tip (from Advanced Search)
search_oil.jpg

Last edited:
We're supposed to use oil? Where does that go?

Did someone say OIL?!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

cary said:
Did someone say OIL?!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Who's Cary anyway?.................:flipoff2:

Oh, Cary, don't tell anyone but I am "testing" mobile one in my motor as we speak...... :ban:

Brentbba said:
We're supposed to use oil? Where does that go?
Dude! You really are 1/2 :banana: aren't you???

Of course you're supposed to use oil. It goes down that little tube that holds the long yellow handled back scratcher :rolleyes:

I wondered what those streaks were on your back...........;)

you guys are hilarious!! never would i have thought there would be a group on the internet like this. appreciate all the input and help. ih8mud rocks. cruiserdan how do i get ahold of you??

You have heared Stephen Hawkins talk about the "theory of everything" right? Here it is. Go to AutoZone and buy a 5 gallon bucket of Coastal tractor "303". You can put it in any hole you can find.

boekppl said:
you guys are hilarious!! never would i have thought there would be a group on the internet like this. appreciate all the input and help. ih8mud rocks. cruiserdan how do i get ahold of you??

Go to the vendor section, look in the post titled "getting ahold of CruiserDan"

Ah, at this very moment both 80s are full of a combined 8 GALLONS of Mobil 1 0-40 motor oil. Yes, that was a showstopper when the guy in line asked me if I was buying a year's supply and I responded it was for a single oil change for my two LandCruisers. $90 worth of oil.

Oil. You want oil change mythology defined, sliced and diced? With Cary here most of the eccentrics are present and accounted for. I drain them hot, and let 'em drip for an hour. Gotta be hot to have any wear particles suspended and able to flow directly out of the pan before settling occurs in only a minute or so. Got my 4.5 flowing, then my wife pulled in and I had a pan under her 4.5 before she shut it down. 5 seconds later the oil cap's off and I'm diving under for the pan drain (oil cap off nets you maximum oil flow to keep particles moving for best cleanout). Gives me wood when this comes together so well - both trucks at once!!! Then whip off both filters and toss them in the already empty fresh filter boxes so they don't spill, noting that the old smaller filters are WAY smaller than the big brawny Toyota filters I'm using today. While they drip on the sea of newspaper I've put down there to catch the filter fallout, I line up the fresh quarts across the radiator member and crack their seals one by one. Later, I'll be able to just pour nonstop into the filler opening - no pauses to unscrew the tops. Quart empties are tossed at the big trash can across the shop, and this day I was 11 for 16 - about average. But that's an hour off as I like to let the empty oil pan drip for that long just 'cause I can.....

One truck has sat down there for an entire day without being moved, which means the fresh oil went only into the pan and has not yet been circulated. This fact bothers me enough that when I leave tomorrow in my truck, I'll actually start hers up for a minute just to watch that oil pressure guage stay at zero for 10 seconds and then spring to life. It was hers to experience, but too much time means I get to take it back for my own viewing pleasure.

That's where you're heading, my friend. MUD will take you to this state of mind in no time flat. Run while you still have a chance, or you're doomed to a life of knowledge of all things esoteric 80.....

DougM

Put some fresh oil into your new dry filter before you install it (quick flick of the wrist) and maybe you do not have to wait 10 seconds for the oil pressure to come up.

I just reread your post and realized you said 8 gallons for 2 trucks. IIRC my 91 holds two gallons - where did the other 4 gallons go?

oil.. hmmnn.. baby oil isn't all that bad.. if you have the cash i'd definitely spring for jelly.. ky's pretty good from what i hear.. or if you really are in the dough then there's that stuff that heats up when you use it.. don't ask me where i've heard this stuff..

IdahoDoug said:
Ah, at this very moment both 80s are full of a combined 8 GALLONS of Mobil 1 0-40 motor oil. Yes, that was a showstopper when the guy in line asked me if I was buying a year's supply and I responded it was for a single oil change for my two LandCruisers. $90 worth of oil.

DougM

No wonder you have a consumption issue, you are putting 16 quarts in each truck. I have heard of overfilling but that is taking it to an extreme. :D :D

cruiserdan said:
Oh, Cary, don't tell anyone but I am "testing" mobile one in my motor as we speak...... :ban:

You were ripped off, you should try Mobil 1. :grinpimp:

NO wonder it was so cheap.............:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom