Oh Poop Moment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Just a funny story today. Driving on the highway, I look down at my gauges and ... Oh Poop! no oil pressure. The truck is till running so I cross my fingers hoping that the oil pressure switch for the EDIC will cover my but and shut down if the pressure gets too low on the way to a gas station.

I pull into the next as station and, because I have a small rear main leak, I grab tow quarts of diesel oil. I put one in and check the dipstick. Still a little low, but not full so I put in a second. Full.

I get back in the truck and drive away. I am getting back on the highway and am still waiting for the gauge to move at all. I am late so again, I put my faith in my EDIC Low oil system, and drive to my lacrosse game. The whole time, no oil pressure on the gauge. The truck is driving fine and cool, no roughness, knock, change in turbo sound or boost. I wonder if I am full of oil and the pump went bad, maybe its just the sender, or the gauge, but what if the sender for the EDIC Low oil system is bad too. Fingers crossed I get there fine.

I check under the hood when I get finished with my games and the sender connected came undone due to rubbing from my oil return line from the turbo. Still full of oil, but with no gauge movement, I get home fine. Now I need to just find out if the sender connection broke or just came undone.

Just one of those 'that could have been so much worse' moments.

yep, had that happen but something horrilble happened. I was away and wife was driving the BJ62. The wire for the EDIC oil pressure broke. No biggy, but the oil return line for the vac pump had a leak that got really bad and the thing dumped all the oil and knock knock.

If the EDIC connector was intact she would have shut down and saved the day!

After that I always checked the EDIC system whenever I did oil changes and I checked that wire whenever the hood was open.

Daryl

It would freak me out driving without oil pressure registering, but you had faith in thou EDIC and it worked out. I think the oil pressure shutdown feature is really neat and should be fitted to all diesels. Mine gets tested every time i do an oil change. I drop my oil after i've been on the highway for an hour then let it drain overnight. When i change the filter and refill it in the morning it always cuts out on low oil pressure on the first start until pressure builds, so i have faith in mine too. :)

I am of the other school, I don't trust the EDIC at all. But I have to add that mine was old and had issues. Yes it can be fixed but I simplified things by swapping it over to full manual control, the glow plugs and the injection pump.

Pulling the wire off the EDIC sender should shut it down according to the manual, mine never did just continued to run.

Our oil pressure gauges in the dash are not much good at indicating actual pressure. When warm at idle my guage will settle to zero. A mechanical gauge showed it still has 12psi when hot at idle even though the gauge reads 0. Lest you think this is a bit low the manual shows that only 4psi at idle is acceptable.

If you are going to keep your EDIC double check it to make sure it works as designed.

Tony

Pulling the wire off the EDIC sender should shut it down according to the manual, mine never did just continued to run.
Tony

It is actually a "switch" and not a "sender" Tony.

And what you say is not true.

Pulling off the wire shouldn't shut your engine down.

Grounding that wire should shut your engine down (whereas by disconnecting it you're simply decommissioning your safety system).

:beer:

All of my electrical systems work pretty well. I have identified all those that are not healthy and either fixed them or worked around them (No interior light, and blower is either full on or off, no mid level thanks to my hood/bonnet prop hitting the wires all of the time).

Even though the gauge on our rigs are not that accurate, they are consistent. I never drop below the line while idling when warm. I do get a reading of just above it which freaked me out at first, but then I realized that is just where it is at a long light. This went to just below the line and that was the 'oh poop' moment.

I am not going to leave it this way for much longer as with a light oil leak, I am now familiar with the slight change on the gauge that lets me know I have gone too long without checking. For thsoe that have not heard about y plans, I am going to rebuild a 3B to replace my 2B and plan to put a new sender for a much more accurate gauge when I do all of the work. I have plans to do new water temp and battery charge gauges too.

Since I am going to swap the engine, I am essentially just trying to keep the engine running and not improving it all as all of the work will be much easier when the engine is out (for those wondering - maybe sell the engine or part it out... or try to find a good 45 LWB to drop a turbo 2B into!).

Also, for academic purposes, I have had a documented HG leak for at least 3 years and the truck just keeps driving... A part of me wants to find out how long this thing can keep plugging along with all of its issues!

Last edited:
It is actually a "switch" and not a "sender" Tony.

And what you say is not true.

Pulling off the wire shouldn't shut your engine down.

Grounding that wire should shut your engine down (whereas by disconnecting it you're simply decommissioning your safety system).

:beer:

That's absolutely right - the low oil pressure cut off switch is a simple device which grounds out when there is inadequate oil pressure pushing against it. One might disconnect it as part of a diagnostic process to see if it was affecting the fuel control relay; otherwise not much to go wrong with it.

I stand corrected...

But my EDIC is now on the shop floor. I hate electrical stuff.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom