Oh no.....not another buying advice thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First and foremost, I hope I'm making this thread in the right section. Secondly, hi everyone first time visiting and becoming a new member, I'm hoping to be around if I find the right vehicle.

Okay, I'll keep it as informative as I can to see what you guys can recommend to fit my needs as this will be my first SUV or truck ever owned since I'm coming from 240s, 300zx, TL Type S, Civics, Evo, and an IS300.

I'm looking for something that can handle towing/overland/camping/road trips/be an easy to park driveable daily driver.

I will be potentially relocating from SoCal to Indianapolis by the end of the year due to my job and will be needing something to tow one of my cars as I'll be shipping the other but, will also be needing to tow the cars to shops and the track once I'm out there. No kids and wife, so that makes me question the huge size SUVs.

I will be looking into some minor overlanding/camping road trips no crazy hardcore off-road activities.

this will ALSO be my daily for year round weather conditions in the Midwest.

I'm aware that no matter which I choose, the MPG will suck and that Toyota's in that era were bad with rust.

As for pick up trucks, not sure I can get much use out of them as I don't haul stuff on a daily basis, not sure if they're as comfortable to camp in as an SUV when overlanding, and finally the room for passengers. But hey, I could be completely wrong and I'm truly open to honorable mentions and examples or builds to give me much more exposure.

Finally, I've narrowed it down to just some common choices from the small amount of time I've done research, but still haven't gotten to which years to avoid.
-Lexus GX470
-Toyota Land Cruiser 100
-Lexus LX470
-Toyota 4Runner 4WD V8 (07-09 4th Gen)
-Toyota Sequioa (05-06 VVTI)

Let me know what you guys recommend even if not on this list.

All good options. How often will you be towing, and how much weight? That's probably a big portion of how you should go about considering this purchase. None of the listed vehicles are towing champs; they're all more than capable, but pulling a car on a trailer every weekend (like some people do to autocross or track days) will be slightly outside the comfort zone of the trucks you listed.

That said, for your usage case all of the listed vehicles would work. Obviously there's more luxury to the Lexus and Land Cruiser options than the 4Runner and Sequoia, and there's a big maneuverability/parka-bility difference between them as well (>1' between the Sequoia and GX in length, and more than that in turning circle). Might also be worth considering whether you plan to sleep/camp in the vehicle, and/or whether you care about the availability of upgrades/modifications (big difference between the 100s, GX, 4R, and Sequoia).

Really might just be best to test drive one of each, narrow it down to your 2-3 favorites, and hunt for the best condition vehicle in your price point. Huge variability in mileage, rust, maintenance records, etc available. Would recommend a good PPI in any instance.

All good options. How often will you be towing, and how much weight? That's probably a big portion of how you should go about considering this purchase. None of the listed vehicles are towing champs; they're all more than capable, but pulling a car on a trailer every weekend (like some people do to autocross or track days) will be slightly outside the comfort zone of the trucks you listed.

That said, for your usage case all of the listed vehicles would work. Obviously there's more luxury to the Lexus and Land Cruiser options than the 4Runner and Sequoia, and there's a big maneuverability/parka-bility difference between them as well (>1' between the Sequoia and GX in length, and more than that in turning circle). Might also be worth considering whether you plan to sleep/camp in the vehicle, and/or whether you care about the availability of upgrades/modifications (big difference between the 100s, GX, 4R, and Sequoia).

Really might just be best to test drive one of each, narrow it down to your 2-3 favorites, and hunt for the best condition vehicle in your price point. Huge variability in mileage, rust, maintenance records, etc available. Would recommend a good PPI in any instance.
Sorry for the late response, but I'll be towing once in a blue moon, I would say the biggest test would be the towing from Cali to Indiana and possibly the reliability of going on distant trips and daily driving as I plan on commuting 20-30mins away from my job. I knowing towing wouldn't be ideal with these trucks but the comfort and bigger space in the cabin is what drives me away from a pick up truck.

I definitely do plan on sleeping and camping in the vehicle and the upgrades and mods won't matter that much as I won't be doing hardcore off roading since I'll be focusing more on my drift project. Something capable of any future change of plans would be a plus if I go that route, which the GX meets majority of the criteria, but the other options definitely offer a lot also.

The rust will be my biggest concern but, so far I've been patient on the search, kind of hoping for a solid 4Runner to pop up as it seems the most practical size-wise to use on a daily basis to get in and go and not worry so much on the maneuverability compared to the others.

Based on your infrequent towing @Ctrl5hiftTechRig a V8 4Runner or GX might be worth trying to track down, with the 100/LX as a backup. Definitely get the appeal of a fully enclosed cabin, but you can also get a cap for a pickup and emulate the same thing (sorta). Different means to similar ends, and if you need a truck you simply can't replicate the same work-ability of a pickup with an SUV without risking damage in some way. So if you're not willing to live with a bed, maybe try to find a good 5.7L Sequoia that's in your price range. More space, better engine, etc.

I would go with a 5.7 tundra crew cab or a Lexus gx of your choice. The tundra is more difficult to park but has lots of room for a nice overlander and tow vehicle. I would say with a used 5.7 Tundra you get the best bang for your dollar all around.
Thank you for the response and this was mentioned at work too haha, but made my decision with an SUV for sure!

Based on your infrequent towing @Ctrl5hiftTechRig a V8 4Runner or GX might be worth trying to track down, with the 100/LX as a backup. Definitely get the appeal of a fully enclosed cabin, but you can also get a cap for a pickup and emulate the same thing (sorta). Different means to similar ends, and if you need a truck you simply can't replicate the same work-ability of a pickup with an SUV without risking damage in some way. So if you're not willing to live with a bed, maybe try to find a good 5.7L Sequoia that's in your price range. More space, better engine, etc.
This response right here is EXACTLY the decision I came up with. Thank you for the previous response too, I took a lot of what you said into consideration and went to take a look at 2 GX470s this past weekend and a Sequoia. Narrowed it down to the 2 vehicles I keep going back and forth with which are the V8 4R and the GX100. I won't rush into it as I almost shot the bullet on the first GX I found.

An 07 White GX470 with 204k miles for $13.5k at a Lexus trade-in and maintenance records, but interior needed love and multiple spots all around the exterior had small touch up paint and bumper scratches. Not sure if that was on ok price with the demand of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom