Oh MY! Transmission problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1970 40
I mentioned drive train noises and sloppiness recently. I removed a home made (not mine) tunnel cover plate. I was hoping to add a back up light switch. I made a discovery that scares me. There is a hole in the transmission cover plate the goes all the was into the tramsmission. I can poke a piece of brazing rod in the hole, it goes in about 8" and come up with gear oil.

If it has been running like this for 30 years that might explain the sloppiness? The hole would allow dirt and water into the transmission? It seems pretty bad to me, am I wrong?

DSCN0657.JPG

DSCN0658.JPG

Looks like a poor and incomplete repair at some point on that cap. At a minimum, drain the oil, plug/cap the hole and refill. Sloppiness repair probably requires a rebuild.

I am on the California Coast between LA and San Francisco. I have found no shops that will let it in the front door. Who can do the work? Buy a built transmission, then who can swap them?

Remove one of the other top plate retaing screws, find a match, put in hole. May have fouled threads when corner broke.

Looks like the weld is close enough to the bolt hole it would not let the bolt seat properly. Should be able to grind away enough to let the head of the bolt seat correctly. Even a dremel die grinder should be enough for this.

might squeeze an allen head in with less grinding. thats dremmel work or if you have a carbide burr with square tip ?

I changed my column shift three speed to a floor shift in my 68 a few months after in 1974. Guess I did it the hard way and took the time to pull the transmission cover off to install the new transmission top plate and cut the hole for the shifter. Could have just cut a big hole. Does look like I see the special bolt for the PTO shifter?

My concern is not repairing the hole. That is easy stuff. I have a mill and two lathes. I can fabricate most small parts.

My concern is 20 years of trail dust getting into the transmission and grinding it's guts out.

It makes concerning noises when driving at highway speed. It seems like there is slop in the gears. For instance, the slack space between accelerating and decelerating seems large. Also the gears seem noisy, like the hard-faced is damaged.

And yes, the pivot bolt threads for the winch lever is messed up.

I'd like to restore the column shift. Now may be the time.

For whatever it is worth the transmission oil is crystal clear. That may have been changes within the last 100 miles.

Last edited:
If you can do machining , I would think your capable of working on your 40. Use this website and get an fsm. If you have slop between acceleration and de-acceleration, you might pull the cone shaped cover on the back of the tcase and see if the big nut is loose.

Thanks I'll check that.

I have no lift and limited garage space. When things get to heavy or awkward I need help.

Although I have worked as a mechanic in the distant past, it is not my primary hobby now. This is a one off project. The vehicle is a family-sentimental thing. Getting it in shape to drive safely is my goal. My goal is not to become a land cruiser restoration expert. So, I have lot of questions and you all are are the experts. I appreciate the help very much.

I am on the California Coast between LA and San Francisco. I have found no shops that will let it in the front door. Who can do the work? Buy a built transmission, then who can swap them?
Call Valley Hybrids they will be your best option

Last edited:
The transfer case has the same amount of miles on it and if you are having the transmission rebuilt you may want to do the transfer case at the same time.

Valley Hybrids are in Sacramento they will take care of you.

Marks off-road is another cruiser shop close to you. You have some well known cruiserheads right in your backyard.

You should be able to pull that top cover and see inside if there’s gear wear or synchros are below spec. But no telling on the bearings. If it doesn’t look terrible and you don’t want to do the work immediately, flush the oil, seal it up with all the bolts and run it. Like said, rebuild it and the t-case: one of the mentioned sponsors.

Thanks I'll check that.

I have no lift and limited garage space. When things get to heavy or awkward I need help.

Although I have worked as a mechanic in the distant past, it is not my primary hobby now. This is a one off project. The vehicle is a family-sentimental thing. Getting it in shape to drive safely is my goal. My goal is not to become a land cruiser restoration expert. So, I have lot of questions and you all are are the experts. I appreciate the help very much.

Smash that “easy button” with one of the above mentioned vendors. I’m in the same boat. Dungeon for a garage, cantankerous demeanor, and a boat load of “other” time consuming bad habits.

Here, FIFY. 😁

7B65D423-48D3-4DE0-96E7-73577A589E61.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I am making notes. California is a big state. Marks is 300 miles away. Stockton is 129 miles.

I think travel is in my future. Tow bars??? My Dad once had one and pulled my rig to Colorado and back. Would it be safe to pull it with my '92 Land Cruiser.

trying to remember are those holes open or closed?
did you stick a small screwdriver in it to check?

what sloppiness are you talking about? it is very vague

the 3 speed trans combo can be done easily in a driveway, it isn't large or excessivly heavy, it can be removed using a floor jack

The hole is for a missing bolt. It goes right through to the inside of the box.

IF I were young I'd try to do on my back in the driveway. I'd have to buy a floor jack, and then have no place to store it. Unfortunately every time I get up for a tool it is difficult. Dozens of trips up and down beats me up. Sometimes I throw money at a problem and let the experts do it right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom