offset trunnion bearing opinion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sailor

Jackass of all trades
Threads
Does anyone have any thoughts about the durability of offset (caster correcting) trunnion bearings over the stock units? Pros/cons? Thanks.

Bumping this up. I rarely had to tighten the studs on the 80 when I had the 'normal' trunion bearings, but after installing in the caster bearings, it's now a regular event. Wondering if smaller bearing = more play?

Haven't heard of any issues with knuckle studs needing to be tightened more regularly as a result of the offset bearings, but it could be possible. I know that Cruiser Outfitters and Autocraft in Australia have done a lot of offset bearings in trucks they've done work on with excellent results and no sign of shorter lifespan from the bearings vs standard trunion bearings. I think as long as you're using a quality bearing the offset ones will hold up just fine.

The only place I've seen people concerned about them is here on 'mud, where hardly anyone uses them. They seem to be much more commonly used in Australia. Someone posted here that they like to use them to adjust the camber for some reason (better handling, I think).

I wish I'd known about them when I did my lift.

The only place I've seen people concerned about them is here on 'mud, where hardly anyone uses them. They seem to be much more commonly used in Australia. Someone posted here that they like to use them to adjust the camber for some reason (better handling, I think).

Yes, pretty common in Australia to use them to dial in a bit of negative camber. I know Darren McRae sets his about -2* camber. Having driven his truck a little, it has better turn in with less understeer when going hard into corners.

I wouldn't say they are commonly used here.

Autocraft definitely uses them to add a couple of degrees camber

Bumping this up. I rarely had to tighten the studs on the 80 when I had the 'normal' trunion bearings, but after installing in the caster bearings, it's now a regular event. Wondering if smaller bearing = more play?

Sounds like the studs need to be retorqued to me... ‍♂️

I agree. If the studs are not set properly in the knuckle they will not hold. I bet the passenger side loosens up faster.

Holy old post batman. That post was old enough to have gone from conception to birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom