Offroading Gear Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been looking around for recovery gear and towing gear. Is the Smittybilt XRC 8 Winch a good choice, WARN winches are to expensive, or should I just get a high lift along with the recovery kit it has? Last question, has anyone installed towing SHACKLES on their FJ40, or know someone who has? Is it a reliable shackle or towing method?

Save your money and purchase a quality product one time.

So, has anyone used a towbar shackle, or should I just modify a towbar that fits onto the hinges my FJ40 already has for one.

So, has anyone used a towbar shackle, or should I just modify a towbar that fits onto the hinges my FJ40 already has for one.

:confused:

Are you looking at using tow bar mounts as recovery points?

Pretty sure those tow bar mounts are not going to be rated to take the forces you can generate when recovering a stuck or broken vehicle. You might be ok pulling a golf cart out of a snow bank with them :D

You can buy a cheap winch and learn the hard way as many others have that you get what you pay for. You may not need a winch that often but when you need it you need it to work and work safely. Once you have a good winch you will you will use it for many other uses other than just pulling yourself or a friend out. Recovery gear is not an area to cheap out on. Recovery can be very dangerous and gear failure can put you in a situation that you don't want to be in. Recovery points are usually wielded through HD bumpers or bolted on with grade 8 bolts to a secure location on your 40. I would not use tow points as recovery points. Towing doesn't cause anywhere close to the stress that winching causes. Hi-lifts are a very good start and have uses that can be combined with winches.

So, what would be a good winch to buy? I hear good things from WARN, but they seem to sell everything for WAY too much money. Any help, I will shelf out the money for a WARN only if things get better for me.

So, what would be a good winch to buy? I hear good things from WARN, but they seem to sell everything for WAY too much money. Any help, I will shelf out the money for a WARN only if things get better for me.

Have you ever owned/used any Warn winches?

How can you arbitrarily state that they charge WAY too much money for their products?

Perhaps a different hobby should be investigated, as spending 1800.00us on a component for your truck is going to be a drop in the bucket if you keep this thing and use it for any period of time.

Again, save you money and purchase quality products.

If you really see yourself getting into situations where you will need a winch, put an 8274-50 on the front of your truck.

If not, purchase some form of a ping pong made decoration and hope for the best.

:beer:

1. NO, I have a family friend who uses a Ramsey Patriot, it does the job and never failed him.....he does much braver, crazier, and stupider things than me......

2. I would rather spend my money on mechanical parts, like lockers (ARB), which I am getting by summer, been saving a lot for those....

3. I also go off-roading with friends who, atleast one, has a winch.

Also, the front axle I have now is working fine, going to put longfields in it for extra insurance.

If I do get a WARN winch, which one should I get.......

Poser already mentioned warn 8274-50..best of them all. i wish i had one!

probably a search on youtube on how to's might help, think basics would be winch, hi lift, hi lift recovery kit, snatchblock, shackles, tree saver, tow rope, gloves . . . and just time in the saddle, something i too need more practice with.

Where are you finding used 8274s for 2-3 hundred? Grab me a dozen of them please.

Mark...

1. NO, I have a family friend who uses a Ramsey Patriot, it does the job and never failed him.....he does much braver, crazier, and stupider things than me......

2. I would rather spend my money on mechanical parts, like lockers (ARB), which I am getting by summer, been saving a lot for those....

3. I also go off-roading with friends who, atleast one, has a winch.

Also, the front axle I have now is working fine, going to put longfields in it for extra insurance.

If I do get a WARN winch, which one should I get.......

Uuuhhh... a winch IS a mechanical part. As or more important for real offroad use as are lockers.

You say that Warn charges to much. Apparently the market does not agree. A friend of mine is an engineer for warn. A few years back Warn was actually considering dropping the 8274. It has it's own production line and little to no interchange with the production of their other winches. In preparation for this changeover, they raised the price, to help move customers to their pother products..... people just paid the higher price... they did it again... same result... a third time... People Still wanted the 8274.

So... they dropped several hundred thousand into upgrading the 8274 and it's production line, and everyone was happy.

Are there other decent winches out there? yep. Some made by warn, some made by others. Are there cheaper ones than an 8274? yep. Some good, some not so good. You get what you pay for when it comes too winches. By cheap/get junk.

Any warn winch rated over 8000 pounds of pull will serve you well on a '40. My experience with 8000 pound capacity and lighter electrical winches from other companies is limited, and not favorable. If you want to go the PTO Route, I can offer suggestions, but I doubt that s what you are looking for.

It is always better to have friends along who ALSO have winches. Not so good to assume that your buddy will always be there to pull you out.

Mark...

I would not use tow points as recovery points. Towing doesn't cause anywhere close to the stress that winching causes.

Winching does not really put all that much stress on an attachment point usually.

Even double lined with a snatch block you will seldom see a 16K pull on the attachment point and it will be a slow and gradual pull that drops pretty quickly.

It is snatching with recovery straps that can really stress the attachment points. And that can really create a dangerous situation if anything fails.

I would never even consider using any sort of bolt on towbar mount to winch off of. But a factory tow point will almost always be sufficient for a winch pull.

There are many factory tow points that I would not snatch from.

Mark...

You could check around for used winches, I picked up an excellent 8274, for $400.00 on Craigslist. I looked at a few, and for a while until the right one showed up, but that's the model winch I wanted , won't have to get another one now.Like my Dad says, pay extra for the good stuff, and get on with it !!:beer:

used warn 8274=$200-300 rebuild runs another $2-300 so for 500ish you have a sweet winch that looks "right" on a 40!

ill take one

Hi All:

The Warn M8000 is a good, basic electric winch. Shop around on-line, at places like Winch Depot, 4 Wheel Parts, etc. I think you could get it like $50 - 75 cheaper.

The M8274 is really the gold standard of electric recovery winches. A good, used example of the older version (1970-90s) can be had for around $500 here in the PNW by watching Craigslist ads on a regular basis.

Consider also the Superwinch brand of electric recovery winches. Summit Racing, among others has this line at good prices.

Good luck!

Alan

So, I am going to buckle down and get the WARN M8000, is that a good buy, it costs around $600 and pulls 8,000 lb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom