Offroad led lights flickering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little background, these lights did not flicker like this for the last year or so that they have been installed. I have them tied into my high beams using a relay so that when I pull the high beam on, they come on and they also can be turned off separate of the high beam. I thought maybe the relay was bad so I replaced that. Not the issue. I also have a dual battery set up with a hell roaring kit. This allows me to separate and combine the batteries with a flick of the switch. I have two newer agm batteries, when I combine the batteries the flicker stops. I've had both batteries tested and both came back ok. Anyone have any idea other than pulling the loom and replacing?

So they flicker when the batteries are disconnected from each other? Are they connected to the battery that is being charged by default or the one that is not being charged by default?

Both are being supplied power from the starter battery directly through the slee harness. They flicker when turned on. If I combine the batteries, the flicker goes away

Wonder if capacitors on the LED chip boards are going out? If on your start battery, plenty of juice is available from alternator. Does it behave the same with engine off? (batteries combined and separate)

Check your grounds. Maybe the second battery allows a better ground.i.tonrhe circuit? Grounds and relays would be my first thoughts. You already ruled out the relay.

I'll double check the grounds on both batteries and at the relay harness. I will unplug the lights one by one to see if maybe a board could be causing the issues as well. Good suggestions

I'll double check the grounds on both batteries and at the relay harness. I will unplug the lights one by one to see if maybe a board could be causing the issues as well. Good suggestions
try with engine off too. just thinking there is a small chance alternator is causing some weirdness.

try with engine off too. just thinking there is a small chance alternator is causing some weirdness.

Good idea, always wise to remove any variables possible.

I always test my LED's by touching the wires directly to the battery terminals or rigging up connections from the terminals to the LED harness. If you don't see a flicker, then the LED's and boards are good.

LED lights in general are fairly simple with a PCB and surface mounted high power LED's. The electronics handle current regulation. Cheap chinese LED's can cause electrical interference through the vehicle which can be picked up by the radio or other devices.

Any verdict here?

Alternator is going out. Have a new one sitting on the shelf ready to go in, can’t be too mad, lasted 25 years.

Alternator is going out. Have a new one sitting on the shelf ready to go in, can’t be too mad, lasted 25 years.
Hold onto the old one. It's probably just the brushes. Rebuild kit is $16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom