Officially a FJ80 owner :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, ive been using these forums to research the FJ80 and make my decision. The decision was made, and i sold my built 4runner and bought a family wagon :)

I am comming from a '86 4runner, SAS, Locked, Geared and rollin 35's. I probably wont build this Cruiser to conquer Fordyce Creek, but it will see the Rubicon and plenty of other less challenging areas.

I found this '94 FZJ80 and it needed a new owner. The previous owner had no business owning it. I have no idea what its history is, but the cloth seats sold me on it! (can't be wheelin with leather, thats just not right).

Its got some road rash and the usual missing bumper caps. Has 181k on the odo, no lockers or anything fancy. I am still getting used to the bells and whistles (like, whats this ECT button do??) but I am slowly learning.

I do know the front axle needs a good lookin' at. Both hubs feel loose like the bearings need to be checked. I will probably spend the majority of the week looking into that. But I got a good deal, and have enough $$$ left from the 4runner sale to get a 2.5" OME kit and new tires. That will be a good start and get this pig ready for the Memorial Day weekend trip!

Of course, you all want pix...

IMG_2789%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D.JPG

IMG_2791%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D.JPG

IMG_2798%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D.JPG

Its official Mall Crawl Breakin!
IMG_2800%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D.JPG

IMG_2802%20%5BDesktop%20Resolution%5D.JPG

Not what I am used to, but it will do.

A pic of what I am used to ;)
IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Cant wait to get started on the build. Thanks to everyone here for all the inspiration!

-Brian

Nice.:cheers:

I came from an 87 runner, you're about to find yourself in heaven with an 80.:steer:

Congrats on the 80 and the new baby!

love your old one hopefully one day your 80 will be just as nice.. and I see you got the rarest color 80 ever build GREEEEEN :D

Congratulations! Green is my favorite color too. But yeah, I don't think we are the minority color. Just curious why you're going with 2.5" lift?

Like the rig, I am in montana now, was born and raised in Auburn, spent a lot of time on the rocks with Toyota pick up's and a rockin FJ40, moved on the the 80 now,needed room for the kids. progress slow but happening, good luck with the build, Welcome to Mud.:cheers:

I also traded my 86 SASd 4runner for a 80. The cruiser is a cadillac to the 4runner. What a difference. :)

Congrats on your 80. Now say goodbye to having any money in your wallet. If the mods don't get all of it, putting gasoline in it will.

With that said, my wife will have to sell mine after I'm dead cause I'm keeping it till then.

Im only going as far as 33"... maybe 35" if i can squeeze them in. the 2.5" kit should do me just fine. That and its (kinda) affordable.

Yeah, I understand the economic advantage of the 2.5". But, if you were able to hold out and save up for a 4 or 6, I suspect your LC could perform almost as well as your 4runner did on the trail, and still give you that supa sweet ride quality on the road. Its like the best of both worlds. But maybe I am telling you things you already know... and really though, its a LC and is therefore a thing of beauty just the way it sits.

Im only going as far as 33"... maybe 35" if i can squeeze them in. the 2.5" kit should do me just fine. That and its (kinda) affordable.

If you wheel in the rocks, you'll be happier with 35s.:idea: The 80 has plenty of room for them. I had mine on before the lift.:meh:

If you wheel in the rocks, you'll be happier with 35s.:idea: The 80 has plenty of room for them. I had mine on before the lift.:meh:

Yep, plenty of folks will tell you they went with 285's and wish they had gone with 315's.

Yeah, I understand the economic advantage of the 2.5". But, if you were able to hold out and save up for a 4 or 6, I suspect your LC could perform almost as well as your 4runner did on the trail, and still give you that supa sweet ride quality on the road. Its like the best of both worlds. But maybe I am telling you things you already know... and really though, its a LC and is therefore a thing of beauty just the way it sits.

Yeah I know exactly what your saying. The 4runner was fun and all, but i bought it when i was a bachelor. Now I am married, have kids. I wont be seeing any real crazy crawling for a few years, and if I need to get my fix I can always ride shotgun with a buddy. This will be the family wagon that gets us to camp, fishing and home again without worry. If I put on a 4" kit, 37's and lock it up... next thing you know im rolling it or breaking it and wont be getting to work for a few days.

I guess maybe i'll start looking for some 315's then :) Anyone have a good shot of a LC with a set of 35's and no lift? The way things are looking right now, i doubt i'll have my 2.5" kit before christmas :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom