Official US Wheels 16x8 +25 5x150 Steel Wheel Group Buy Thread (EDIT: 16" not 17") (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rj1GCiq.jpg

Look what the cat dragged in!!!

How about a photo of what’s inside the box?

Didn’t get to try them on this weekend (new dad life). Will either Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the hold up!

MURPHY'S LAW

Wow. so i got the wheel (it's an unfinished wheel for test purposes only) and went to mock it up... the LX i bought had some cheesy chrome "FOOSE" crap wheels on it with cheap crappy wheel locks. Well i went to mock up one of the wheels and both the lock and the key BROKE.

anyway i measured the hub by making a pencil outline on a paper plate and measuring with a caliper. The space measures just over 110mm.

I'll try to bring this by a wheel shop one day this week. to try and get it sorted.

3wZnsGy.jpg

AgRWnuF.jpg

kr24Sv8.jpg

NuSy9hG.jpg

Last edited:
I hate wheel keys!

Dreams do come true! So excited for this

I have not seen what the weight of the wheel is. Did I miss that somewhere? @BigSh00ts Would you toss this on a scale so I can see the weight please?

See edit!!!

I am sad to say the wheels will not fit without modification. They’re off by about 2mm in order to clear the hub centers. Pics to come and I will contact the manufacturer and see if there’s a way to modify the wheel, but I won’t get my hopes up. I’m sorry to those I let down.

*****Edit: there’s hope!!! Bob is going to look into machining the wheels about 2 mm for us!!!*****

Last edited:
Tuesday update: he’s opening up the hub space by 2mm and sending another sample. Please stand by.

Nice to see some more options, thanks for the legwork. Only skimmed quickly the thread but did not see mention of whether these are supposed be truly hubcentric or not (1 or 2mm too big may be too much probably) and also the diameter and style (straight or cone) of the lug holes., but I imagine it's in there. If not, you may want to check.

Nice to see some more options, thanks for the legwork. Only skimmed quickly the thread but did not see mention of whether these are supposed be truly hubcentric or not (1 or 2mm too big may be too much probably) and also the diameter and style (straight or cone) of the lug holes., but I imagine it's in there. If not, you may want to check.

The test wheel I received was too small by about 1-2mm. He’s machining another sample at +2mm and sending it to me. As for the lugs, the wheels are flat faced and direct bolt on. I will ask which lugs he recommends. Will post a photo today that will give better ideas.

I'm no expert on wheels but I think that if you want hubcentric, the hub hole is gotta be right on, not a guess +/- 1mm, and unless the thing is extremely precisely made, it'd be hard to have both conical (or tight straight) stud holes and hubcentric features at the same time. In that case you might want non-conical holes and a bit of wiggle room with the diameter of the stud holes to ensure hubcentricity (if your center hole is just right). Or forget the hubcentric bit and use either conical holes or close-fitting straight holes, but then you need the matching nuts (in shape and diameter). There is more to this than just slap a wheel on, I think. The nuts should match the wheel. If you use conical base nuts, even the angle of both cones should match. If you use straight base nuts as is common with aluminum wheels, the outside diameter of the nut base should match the stud hole. Etc. Anyway, they should know about all this, and should have asked you, I imagine.

I'm no expert on wheels but I think that if you want hubcentric, the hub hole is gotta be right on, not a guess +/- 1mm, and unless the thing is extremely precisely made, it'd be hard to have both conical (or tight straight) stud holes and hubcentric features at the same time. In that case you might want non-conical holes and a bit of wiggle room with the diameter of the stud holes to ensure hubcentricity (if your center hole is just right). Or forget the hubcentric bit and use either conical holes or close-fitting straight holes, but then you need the matching nuts (in shape and diameter). There is more to this than just slap a wheel on, I think. The nuts should match the wheel. If you use conical base nuts, even the angle of both cones should match. If you use straight base nuts as is common with aluminum wheels, the outside diameter of the nut base should match the stud hole. Etc. Anyway, they should know about all this, and should have asked you, I imagine.
All great info which I will discuss with him. Thus far we were looking for a wheel that fits but once that happens we will discuss the above because it’s cleqely very important. I don’t know that the precision is there to machine these wheels perfectly hubcentric so it will likely be done via lug kits and holes.

Probably the best thing to do is to identify first clearly and precisely what the OEM features are for either or both 100 and 200s. As in are the OEM wheels truly hubcentric or not? if so, what is the exact hub hole diameter? What are the diameters of the stud holes? What type of holes are they? What type of nuts do they use? What are the dimensions of the nuts? And then I suppose either reproduce all the wheels features exactly or at least figure out the numbers on the new wheels to let people decide what they need to do to make it work. There may be other issues, like what torque to use. My 80 manual shows significantly different torques for the steel and aluminum wheels, for example. Does the 100 or 200 manual show that too? Or can the OEM steel torque be figured out maybe from non-US vehicles? Would those values even be appropriate for non-OEM wheels?

One way to look at all that is to think about how much work the Toyota engineering team probably put into figuring this all out and manufacturing the wheels just right for their calculations. Deviations from that are probably not the best or easiest thing.

I'll mention something for reference. I put old Tundra OEM steel wheels on my 80. Those have conical holes and I used conical nuts of the correct angle with sufficient contact area. So the wheel is already positioned by the nuts. But there is also only between 1.5 and 2 thous of space between the hub and the hubcentric tabs on the wheels. I can't see the gaps. That is close. It's OEM.

Sorry, don't mean to throw cold water on a great initiative, just a suggestion to be careful...

Probably the best thing to do is to identify first clearly and precisely what the OEM features are for either or both 100 and 200s. As in are the OEM wheels truly hubcentric or not? if so, what is the exact hub hole diameter? What are the diameters of the stud holes? What type of holes are they? What type of nuts do they use? What are the dimensions of the nuts? And then I suppose either reproduce all the wheels features exactly or at least figure out the numbers on the new wheels to let people decide what they need to do to make it work. There may be other issues, like what torque to use. My 80 manual shows significantly different torques for the steel and aluminum wheels, for example. Does the 100 or 200 manual show that too? Or can the OEM steel torque be figured out maybe from non-US vehicles? Would those values even be appropriate for non-OEM wheels?

One way to look at all that is to think about how much work the Toyota engineering team probably put into figuring this all out and manufacturing the wheels just right for their calculations. Deviations from that are probably not the best or easiest thing.

I'll mention something for reference. I put old Tundra OEM steel wheels on my 80. Those have conical holes and I used conical nuts of the correct angle with sufficient contact area. So the wheel is already positioned by the nuts. But there is also only between 1.5 and 2 thous of space between the hub and the hubcentric tabs on the wheels. I can't see the gaps. That is close. It's OEM.

Sorry, don't mean to throw cold water on a great initiative, just a suggestion to be careful...

no no this is much welcome cold water. this is stuff i would like to know and i assume anyone buying aftermarket wheels should know. I will analyze this when i have some spare time and get this sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom