Official Cast Iron thread- Lets see em (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets see your favorite cast iron cookware. I have noticed most folks here like cast iron and so do I. I searched and found lots of misc tidbits here and there.

I want to see your Cast Iron cookware. Also lets see it in action on the trail or in the kitchen or BBQ.

Have any oddball pieces? Lets see them? Got a large collection? Got oldies?

Got any old flea market/garage sale scores? Lets hear the deal ya got, how much, where?

Saved any nasty ol rusty cast iron? Lets see it.

Happy sizzlin :cheers:

Ill start. Here is a new griddle I got at Cabelas. I like it much so far. It fits on a cast iron 2 burner stove or on my camper stove perfect. Its allot bigger than it looks in the pics.

The griddle was $80 and the cast burners were $80 also.
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG

Father in law was gonna toss these two pans. One he called a fish pan and the other is a US made 6.5inch skillet that were old and rusty.

I cleaned them up with a wire wheel in a right angle grinder and then seasoned them.

The "fish pan" kicks ass for eggs and omlettes.

Heres the nastyness.
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG

Sweet save Chop Shop!!!!

I grew up with cast iron frying pans in the house. I helped my nephews Scout leader with his Dutch Oven cooking for some of their camp outs and fund raisers. I bought some Dutch Ovens and have used them a few times but it's been awhile since I've had them out. I've been looking at getting some cast iron for use in the house lately. A site that I've been looking over is listed below. It's got a lot of info on it from cleaning and buying to recipes. I don't know if you've seen it.

www.camp-cook.com :: Index

I haven't seen that Cabela's griddle. I like the high sides and back on it. Nice setup!

Since you asked :D

The bottom row of pans is a 6"/8"/10-1/2"/11-3/4" Wagner set and my go to set on/off the trail; hardly a week goes by I don't use one or more. The other fav and recently added is the Lodge 10" medium height DO; great for heating up the bean dip, cheese, etc. appetizers on the trail as well as a superb vessel for all things fondue.
All cast iron.jpg
DSC_5355.jpg

My Griswold Griddle

Dscn2247.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

I cooked burgers on it last night, rock fish with Old bay seasoning two nights ago.

I keep it on our full size gas BBQ all the time, crank that bad boy up to about 500°F and it's ready to sear off some steaks, 350° and I'm ready for fish, 300° works well for pancakes. This time of year I'll use it three or four times a week.

This is the big extra deep Lodge DO I re-seasoned, sorry no "after" pictures.
Dscn1535.jpg

The little Ideal Market located in McDermitt Nevada and Oregon (straddles the Nevada Oregon border) has a kewl old time/antique cast iron collection. Some of the items are even for sale. Check it out if you ever have reason to be up there :)

Alton Brown has a good episode on cast iron cooking and how its made. Pretty interesting. He stated Lodge was one of the only cast iron makers here in the U.S.

I do like that Cabelas griddle. I also really dig the high sides.

Here are my newest additions on the tailgate of my truck:
648809536_2319754621_0.jpeg

and here they are all seasoned.

648809513_2319754532_0.jpeg

crappy cell phone shots, sorry.

Well I dove in and bought a few cast iron pieces this weekend. I picked up a new 8" Lodge dutch oven plus about a 10" Lodge skillet/pan. I cooked hash browns on the skillet at the house and a peach cobbler in the dutch oven the next day. Both worked out pretty well.

Immediately after I bought these two pieces the wife and I stopped by to see my grandparents. My grandfather gave me a huge skillet (maybe 15"?) and 3 10-12" dutch ovens (without the legs). I'm going to clean them up, season 'em, and see what I can get into.

One of the pieces I was given was an old cast iron kettle. The inside is pretty gnarly. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to get it clean enough. Some significant bits have flaked off. There is an access hole in the top that pivots out of the way - maybe 3-4" across.

I'll post some pics soon.

:cheers:

Got these 3 Lodge pcs. For $35....thought it was a pretty good deal.

Catapulted from my iPhone while abusing IH8MUD
image-4039098068.jpg

Picked them off CL from West Point....lots of families moving around generates a good influx of slightly used goodies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom