Official August Club Trail Ride: Goose Lake August 13-ish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like we have plenty of interest to go to Goose Lake. This is my personal favorite trial I have ever done. It is scenic, challenging in spots, not a truck killer and filled with the best lakes, views, flowers and high-country Montana has to offer.

All updates will be here on POST #1

Obviously the floods have changed our route a bit. From Bozeman we will head over the Beartooth pass out of Red Lodge to Cooke City. This adds a full hour or more than driving through the park and is 4 hours from Bozeman at highway speeds. For our friends from Billings it is a bit closer if I remember correctly. We will meet at the trial head on Saturday morning and push to the Lake, then hike to the Lake (we need to cross a stream on foot) and get back down through a few obstacles before setting up camp, either at the trial head again (if you want to bring a camper) or along one of the many amazing lakes. I know @406Camper was entertaining the idea of an early crew getting up to the lake in time to hike to the glacier... that is an option, just post up if you're interested.

Goose Lake is a moderate trail that most stock Toyota 4x4's with a GOOD/EXPERIENCED driver should get through without issue. I would recommend good off-road tires, and some sliders as a minimum but I'll let others chime if they have rubbed bumpers etc. There are some technical spots with some ledges, steps, rocks and boulders... some places have a bypass others do not. I would not say this is an extremely hard trail, but it does have some technical spots and it is much more intense than a fire road drive. As a club we will spot you through tough spots and help you have a good time and preserve your vehicle whenever possible. Depending on over growth and usage, I would expect some pin striping on this one as well as bumping into your skid plates and under carriage. Again this isn't rock crawling but it wouldn't be the most fun trail for a total newb with a stock truck.

Also, please keep in mind this trail is a LONG way from any real help. Make sure your truck and gear are up for the adventure. Please don't bring a known issue to the trail. We won't leave anyone behind, but we are all trying to enjoy the weekend together. Simply put, fix your junk in your driveway, not on the trial. Things break (I know) but do your best to bring a well maintained rig to these remote trails.

This is also big bear country. Grizzlies frequent these area's so we need to be bear aware for everyone's safety with proper food storage and camping conditions. You are on your own for all you camping, food, water, vehicle needs. There is gas close by in Cooke City and you shouldn't need any extra fuel for the trip. I'd like to eat a meal and buy a tank of gas in Cooke City to help out the locals.

HAM channel will be 146.460
GMRS will be 15

As far as coordinating who is coming I know a few people have discussed going up Thursday night to catch the meteor shower, others are going to roll out sometime Friday and perhaps there are the few that would like to come out the day of... that will make for a LONG day.

Post up here if you are 100% in... we might want to keep the group size reasonable. We may want to stagger two groups if we have a lot of interest. If you know you are 100% in, post up what your tentative plan is for departure (Day and time)

Going:
@REZARF likely heading out Friday as early as I can get off. Planning on camping Friday and Saturday
@90WT
@406Camper
@thetoyotaman

Need motivation?
GooseLake2019-04975.jpg

GooseLake2019-05041.jpg

GooseLake2019-04853.jpg

GooseLake2019-04882.jpg

Last edited:
Planning on going up Friday. Somewhat flexible on timing. Will keep an eye on this thread.

not headed up on Thursday. Not really committed to this trip quite yet. I can sent anyone the track though. I wont know until the last minute as always. But defiantly maybe.

I thought or trail ride this month was later in the month for some reason. Double booked myself....I'll post if something changes.

I’m 100 percent in. Plan on leaving late Thursday night and camping out somewhere east of Bozeman, don’t plan on going to far will rally with the group Friday maybe meet at certain time in Columbus? Any suggestions on a camp spot between here and Columbus?

All:

If you don't want to camp, Silvergate Lodge is having a special "Pay what you can". I made reservations for Friday and Saturday. They need the business. Rooms are still available at the motel. Bringing my family with me.
reservations@silvergatelodging.com

Mark

I’m 100 percent in. Plan on leaving late Thursday night and camping out somewhere east of Bozeman, don’t plan on going to far will rally with the group Friday maybe meet at certain time in Columbus? Any suggestions on a camp spot between here and Columbus?
if you make it to columbus the city park next to the river has free camping. it's a great spot plust there might be an old time music picnic happening there.

Not sure yet about weekend plans. Just got back from a week of Solid Axle Summit in Colorado and Wyoming.

Would love to join, but won't figure things out until later this week. Looks like a blast !!

We're taking the trailer up Thursday-Sunday. (Edit: YNP is still closed from Tower to Cooke City, so we're headed over Beartooth Pass through Red Lodge.) We'll be camping a few miles North of Cooke City. The same place as the last two years. It's tricky to find without coordinates. Let me know if you're coming and I'll share with you outside of this forum. Plenty of room for 8-10 rigs. Epic views. So on Saturday, we'll head up to Goose Lake, and then back down to same campsite.

Reminder, there is no cell reception in Cooke City at all (maybe AT&T). So have your radios on while you are in the area. I found a few 406CruiserHeads one year by listening on the radio. Free Wifi can be found at the Cooke City Visitor Center. There's usually someone outside on a laptop, so just ask them for the password.

Lulu Pass and Sheep Mountain are worth exploring too while you're in the area.

I'm guessing Friday night is dinner out on the town, so look for other 406CruiserHeads milling about. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
I'll be in Cooke City/Silvergate Friday night. I would be up for dinner at a local joint to support the town.

Looks like I am going to be that guy and have screwy plans. I want to make this work, but I need to be back in Bozo Saturday early evening...Long story short I have some things to figure out.

@90WT are you going to be at tomorrow's meeting? I definitely want to talk with you about camping out (for us it would be likely Thursday and Friday)

Does anyone have a really rough idea on how long it would take for goose lake there and back from Cooke City?

Thanks!

I'm taking a friend up on Thursday but it's just a day trip so were taking my four wheelers up; I'll just miss you guys this year. Have fun, Laarry

Looks like I am going to be that guy and have screwy plans. I want to make this work, but I need to be back in Bozo Saturday early evening...Long story short I have some things to figure out.

@90WT are you going to be at tomorrow's meeting? I definitely want to talk with you about camping out (for us it would be likely Thursday and Friday)

Does anyone have a really rough idea on how long it would take for goose lake there and back from Cooke City?

Thanks!
I’ll be at the meeting tomorrow night. Cooke City to Goose Lake figure 3 hours each way.

I'm taking a friend up on Thursday but it's just a day trip so were taking my four wheelers up; I'll just miss you guys this year. Have fun, Laarry
Sounds good. What a treat to see your orange beast up there last year! Catch ya next time.

Matt @90WT I’m camping Friday for sure.

I'm not gonna make this one guys. but i can share my routes to anyone who needs and ill tell you the waypoints for the spots that you absolutely must see while you're up there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom