1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic but want you guys in BC to see...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Island Moose, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Island Moose

Island Moose

Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
    I guess Stone and a lot of you guys would be good to answer this. My wife Collette and I are thinking of taking a camping vacation the last week of July, first of August. She suggested the Oregon coast, but I want to fresh water fish and swim (no boat, just casting from shore whilst drinking). I suggested either Idaho or the Okanagon.

Can anyone suggest a really great campsite (tents) where you can feel like you're reasonably-alone, yet still maybe rent a canoe, go fishing, swimming?

Thanks,

2. 123c

123c

3. Deny

Deny

I don't know if I can suggest this, since I am a bit out of the loop and all, but I think the coastal cruisers are going up the wipsaw trail on the aug. long weekend. this trail is 4x4 manditory, (and since I know you don't like to scratch your truck) very easy for a stock truck, and both days you camp at lakes which are great for swimming and I have seen people fishing in. Just a thought, but keep checking the coastal cruisers page, I highly recomend it. Who know's, it might get you hooked on wheeling, and before you know it you'll be looking for some bigger tires and some lockers!
    Cheers,
    Deny

4. Stone

Stone Moderator

Hhmm...tough one, Moose. Usually "good fishing" and "good swimming" in reference to a loake are almost mutually exclusive. Good fishing lakes usually have a lot of bugs and sometimes leeches with muddy/weedy bottoms that make them great for fish, but not so good for swimmers.

5. Island Moose

Island Moose

Hmmm...OK.....fishing over swimming then. Tell you what, I'll shortlist some spots and see what folks think.

OK to move this Stone, I realize it's way OT.

6. Stone

Stone Moderator

Okay...I'll move it to Chat and leave a link here, Moose. Post up your shortlist and hopefully someone will have some pointers.

7. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    how about near goldbridge (north of pemberton) or tyaughton lake just to the north? I love the empty old time feel of that area. the main bc hydro gun creek campsite on carpenter lake was half empty this weekend and there are a ton of places to camp as far up the logging roads as you care to travel. you can rent canoes, mtn bikes, horses, atvs or a beaver at tyax lodge on tyuaghton lake and everything but the beaver at half a dozen other spots in the birdge valley. there is swimming at tyaughton lake for sure.

8. Island Moose

Island Moose

Anyone ever fish Mabel Lake or lakes in the Vernon area?

9. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Well now. This isnt exactly remote, and not real close either. There is a lake outside Boise that is called Lucky Peak Lake. Its a beautiful lake, that winds around a somewhat scary dirt road. There are TONS of campsites, and lots of them are about as lonesome as you wanna be. There is beach for swimming, places to rent, and some good fishing spots below and above the damn. Its a very neat area, and not more than an hour away from Boise. I dont live in Boise anymore(gotta change that there description) but could get you directions if your interested.

10. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know where you want to go, but check out Priest Lake on the Idaho Panhandle NF. Here's a link to all NFs where you can find specific info. Good luck.

http://www.fs.fed.us/