off road gurus, need you thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, so i have a 95 with the factory e-lockers, its stock other wise. I have a little extra money to throw at making it more off road capable. I am trying to decide if i would be better off getting a bumper and winch better approach angle, and well having recovery capibility, or putting a small lift, 2 inch or so on it. what are the pros and cons of both ways.
thanks
Jeff

Depends on what you're trying to do with the vehicle to be honest. They all have pros/cons

Front Bumper:
Pros: marginally (ARB) to much (4x4Labs) better approach angle
-If you hit a tree/brush, less likely to incur any damage
Cons: Winch will add weight, so may need spacers ($) or new coils ($$$)

Rear bumpers:
Pros: Labs rear bumper provides MUCH better departure angle and is sturdy (i.e. coming off a rock) and if your terrain dictates lots of ups and downs, this may be your best addition
Cons: Expensive
-Will need to chop the frame with the Labs (beefy crossmember) or spend more for one that doesn't offer as great of departure angle but does utilize the factory frame/crossmember

Sliders:
Pros: You'll read people say this is your best first upgrade. All it takes is ONE rock to royally mess up your day and your rocker panels (lots of nice options out there, Cruisin' Offroad, Metaltech, Slee, OPOR, Land Cruiser Phil's (little cheaper than real sliders but also not intended to be hardcore usage)
Cons: Slippery when wet

Lift:
Pros: looks cool and you'll generally get a more composed/refreshed ride if done right. This may come at the risk of adding additional body roll.
Cons: Possibly need caster correction and new tires to get the "look"

What type of terrain and off-roading do you plan on?

Something like going to your local fishing hole may warrant a lift and tires or a front bumper/winch
If you're out playing in a rock quarry, you're gonna want sliders and other underneath armor.

It's only a matter of time before your rig goes from "just a lift and tires" to "I have everything plus a kitchen sink"

Last bit. This is just a truncated pro/con list. Everything you do to your vehicle will make it better in one way and worse in another so pick what's best suited toward your usage.

If you wheel alone, get the winch and stay with 33s. If you go with friends, do the lift and get 35s. I went with the lift and 35s but you can do a HF winch with materials for less than $400, which I added shortly after. You don't have to go with the bumper up front, just modify yours. Sliders and underbelly protection are first for me followed by a rear bumper with swingout. Generally you will drag the rear before you hit the front.

upload_2016-3-27_11-53-22.png

My receiver hitch works awesome for bumper and exaust protection.

If you wheel alone, get the winch and stay with 33s. If you go with friends, do the lift and get 35s. I went with the lift and 35s but you can do a HF winch with materials for less than $400, which I added shortly after. You don't have to go with the bumper up front, just modify yours. Sliders and underbelly protection are first for me followed by a rear bumper with swingout. Generally you will drag the rear before you hit the front.

View attachment 1231998
I really like what you did with the stock bumper, do you have a build thread?

All but one of my stucks have been in places where there was nothing to attach a winch cable. For me height, tires, and lockers are what I was missing. Think of where you go and build for that.

Sorry, I don't. I also did not do as good a job as I would like as I was really pushed for time as I had a long trip coming up. The KCs are not exactly centered in the openings and I would have preferred to fab mounts to hold them behind the bumper instead of through the top. Not that difficult to do, just time consuming. Just a jig saw, lots of tape and measuring for the cutouts on the bumper. Trimmed using door edge guard.

Also had the plug for the HF set up in the bumper top as well. Just take your time and it will work out great. To wire the winch and lights the way I have them it is probably a two weekend job, three at the outside if you really try to do a good job and make it look good. I really didn't care much as I intend to replace with a real bumper in the not too distant future.

upload_2016-3-27_14-13-44.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom