Off-road fuel mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
My old 80 was f'ing dismal not just on-highway but for my "expedition" and long-distance tours (Nevada, Mexico, et alia). Planning on doing a lot more with my slow-to-build 100. I assume the 2UZ may be slightly better than the 1FZ?

Roads can be considered rough mountain forest service/desert BLM, slow-go. I have planned for between 4-6mpg. Any reason to expect otherwise on the 2UZ for the full tank (and then some)?

I would think your estimate is fairly accurate. In mixed city driving, which in sections is close to forest road driving with regard to distance traveled per minute, the wife’s LX gets between 10 and 12 MPG. That’s driving through downtown Denver daily, with about 1/3 of the commute being open road and 2/3 being stop and go (similar to off road MPG.) If you estimate that off road you would be getting roughly 2/3 of the 10-12 figure, that would land you around 6.5 to 8 MPG on the high side depending on variables. Just my crude estimate, certainly not gospel.

I should add, planning a 550-600 (~1Mm) off-highway tour. Fuel stops will require sidelining, so obviously trying to maximize. Even double 40gallon long ranger tanks wouldn't even work (not that I nor my payload could afford that).

I tend towards 7-9 MPG on off road adventures. Idling the engine when I am stopped will really kill the MPGs. If I am really moving over some obstacles, it might be less MPGs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom