% of factory Navs failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I may buy an 03' tomorrow but before I do I want to see how common or uncommon it is for the factory Nav's are to fail. I would rather it not have it but I like the cosmetic changes of the 03's and up.
If it is a issue for the LC then I will find an older one.
BTW< how much does it cost to replace?

Not sure anyone has percentages of failures. Don't think it's very high though given that most people on the board don't seem to have the issue. Also, there was a factory defect in the 2004's (bad solder joint) that caused the failures. before and after that year should be better from that standpoint.

You can search other MFD threads for more detail but in short you can pay 300 to 4k depending on whether you want to repair, replace with used/refurbished, replace with new.

1) two different specialty shops that are known to fix them for ~300 with a warranty of sorts. You would have to remove your unit, ship it to them and they repair it.
2) get a used one (multiple sources) or a remanufactured one (through dealership) for ~900.
3) get a new one for ~4k.

Despite my unnatural fear and mistrust of integrated factory nav units, you really don't hear about the LC units failing very often.

It's like the 80 series head gaskets or '00 transmissions. You hear a lot about them because it's the microcosm of this forum, but it's not indicative of the all of the vehicles out there that have no problems ever.

It's like the 80 series head gaskets or '00 transmissions. You hear a lot about them because it's the microcosm of this forum, but it's not indicative of the all of the vehicles out there that have no problems ever.

Maybe...but in reality we don't have access to the data to provide any meaningful conclusion either way. If anything maybe, the posts here offer a glimpse into problem areas we would not typically be privy too...

Yep....lots of fear mongering on the 80-series HG's. I put 235k miles on mine and no issues. Then sold it to a friend who is a mechanic.

BTW, 2003 LC and no Nav issue.

My fear is based on the number of non factory Nav units that have failed in one way or another. Then the number of threads that seem to have popped up recently about how you cant change out the factory NAV economically....

For example my in dash double din 6 disk cd changer stopped working. I can change it out any time I want. I worry if I had an issue in an all in one dash unit I would be out of luck or having to reach deep into the pocket.

But since I am not planning to replace my 2000 anytime soon if ever..... It is really a non issue. But I am interested in finding out if this is really a non-issue in case I ever get a second 100 or heaven forbid I should have to replace this one for an unseen circumstance.....

The 03's isn't the problem year with the Nav Multi Function Display. It's just the 04 and it went on me. The 05-07 are fine so still plenty of LC100's out there for you.

Plus, it's fixable for $900 or less with a re-manufactured Denso unit. Yes it's a chunk of cash, but don't let that dissuade you from a newer vehicle. The 03 and newer have subtle but very nice improvements.

Last edited:
Maybe...but in reality we don't have access to the data to provide any meaningful conclusion either way.

True.

Personally, I subscribe to the belief that forums often inflate moderately frequent (at best) problems in certain vehicles. Forums, by nature, are a source of comprehensive and dense knowledge, and serve as a place for owners to address problems. So, the sample is often skewed.

The owner of LC Northwest (Portland's most respected LC shop, IMO) told me they'd seen one (1) blown 80 series head gasket. Just thought I'd add that to the anecdotal evidence.

Cheers. :beer:

Indeed. The people with problems are the most vocal. The silent majority are just driving their rigs. Statistically, hundys are among the most trouble-free vehicles out there.

Mine is having issues at the moment. It's not dead, but only works intermittently. Come to find out the 2004 year model Toyota Land Cruiser, Highlander, and Prius had a TSB regarding the factory nav. It's basically a flaw in the construction of the units in that year model in regards to a flaky solder connection. Luckily someone took the time to find the issue and I plan on fixing mine myself.

I have looked into the cost, and you don't want to know. The whole unit brand new from the dealer runs anywhere from $2500-5000 depending on where you can find it. There is supposedly a Denso refurb program that allows you to exchange it for a refurb for $700 plus install at the dealer. Probably run you just around $1k once all said and done. The best bet is eBay. I watched a nav pulled from a junkyard go on eBay for $350 once. I knew I should have bought it as a spare!

Short of the built-in nav, the advantages of the 2003+ models are well worth it in my mind. Hence why I bought one! ;)

Mines dead

Mines dead..............Big fat PITA
04 with 100k miles
Fixed once and broke again 3 months later
I bet you will see a high rate of failure as they get some more miles and age.

Come on, did they have to make everything work thru the touch screen?

Well the whole Nav thing has put me off even though there is a slim chance of failure. Lucky me I found a mint 2001 with 90,000 mikes that I am buying. When I say mint I mean a 80 lb woman age 50 drove it to the mall and store and then home into the garage. All services done. So that was a big negative for the Naz.

Most of the "failure" issues on the board are a result in people searching for fixes, finding mud, and posting. makes it seem that more fail than actually dont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom