OEM Wiper Linkage Install with 4Runner Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Parts sourced via @beno

4 Runner arms get you a better contact patch with modern wipers.

The bushing on the wiper motor on my 1984 was a goner. My wipers slapped time on the cowl and went about 4" off the windshield.

OEM Linkage is still available.

IMG_3748.JPG

I removed the entire linkage with the motor. Slides out as one unit on the passenger side.

The arm does not come with the brass bushing or the snap ring. I reused mine but I can see this being an issue. A new snap ring would have been best.

It's tight. The blood sums it up for me.

IMG_3753.JPG

Clean install. I think the linkage was just under $300 and I can't remember how much the wipers and new arms were.

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Those clean way better than stock 60/62 wipers.

Are the wipers from a 4Runner too?

Yeah. Arms and wipers. I switched all my vehicles to OEM Wiper blades. They are so much better than Parts house junk.

Just wanted to say I did the upgrade with 4-runner arms. It's an awesome improvement. I took the whole assembly out and cleaned it. It gave me a chance to get a bunch of leaves and debris out of that area. I used a needle type grease gun that I use to grease the pivots on mtn bike swingarms to slip under the rubber boots on the linkage and grease.

Unless you just really want to clean that space I'm not sure I'd pull the linkage. In my case the linkage looked pretty good and was fairly clean so I'm not sure how much that added.

I used late model, like '97 4-runner arms, and got the nut and cover, they are sold separately. I went with rain-x latitude blades in 18in version. These work perfectly with about an inch of clearance relative to the wind shield rubber gasket.

All in only a couple hours invested.

Parts sourced via @beno

4 Runner arms get you a better contact patch with modern wipers.

The bushing on the wiper motor on my 1984 was a goner. My wipers slapped time on the cowl and went about 4" off the windshield.

OEM Linkage is still available.

View attachment 1404425

I removed the entire linkage with the motor. Slides out as one unit on the passenger side.

The arm does not come with the brass bushing or the snap ring. I reused mine but I can see this being an issue. A new snap ring would have been best.

It's tight. The blood sums it up for me.

View attachment 1404426

Clean install. I think the linkage was just under $300 and I can't remember how much the wipers and new arms were.

View attachment 1404431

View attachment 1404432

Was that video of the wipers on low or high?

These are side by side of 98-00 4Runner arms 85221-35080, you'll see the stock arms have a slight bend, and the parts I received didn't have a cover to shield the nut like stock does.

IMG_1381.JPG

I should do this as well. My rear arm is all rusted up, and the fronts could use some TLC.

@Sacto60 did you order two of the same part for the arms, or were left and right different part numbers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom