OEM Wheel & Cap - Hard to press on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just purchased 5 OEM rims from one of our site vendors (Camelback Toyota - Phoenix) and they look great. Before spraying some paint I decided to test fit one of the caps to see how it will all look.

Either I am a giant puss or these hub caps need a lot of force to push on over the tabs. Is it because the tabs are brand new and have never flexed? Anybody else experienced this with new parts?

I dont want to scratch the rim once it is painted and I do not want to dent the cap.
rim.jpg
rim.cap.2.jpg
rim.cap.jpg

It is a tight fit. Use a rubber mallet and probably some gloves for those tender hands. You can also bend the tabs in to make it easier to get the caps on.

Mine were REALLY tight when new; I used some channel-lock pliers to bend some of the clips more "in" and that helped a lot to get the hub caps on at all.

Hi, Very tight fit, agreed use a rubber hammer. Mike

Your tabs will scratch if painted or powder coated, I put a little dab of white grease on the tabs.

Ever watch a car chase in a old movie and a wheel cover goes flying. Trust this is not a issue with the 40 series hub caps. Bwwn dealing with these for almost forty years. Getting them to snap on is nothing to removing them without scratching the paint. I found protecting the wheel with a rag and using a claw hammer works the best. Slowing pry it away then use a large screw driver while getting a deeper grip with the hammer. Using the rag the whole time to protect the wheel.

Bend them in

Just bend in the clips a little and they will fit. I just had the same issue. the tire shop had fun watching me try to push on the caps not getting them to stay put. I used a big screwdriver against a small rubber pad and bent them in.

MJM

I got mine on with a rubber mallet.

Any tips on getting them off? I tried prying them off with a screwdriver but that started to scratch the rim.

Thanks,
John

I sourced a tool bag from an old toyota ( maybe a corolla) that contained a lug wrench that has flat flange on the opposite end of the wrench. It's there to remove the chrome caps. I use a towel or rag against the wheel as leverage and they pop right off.

I got mine on with a rubber mallet.

Any tips on getting them off? I tried prying them off with a screwdriver but that started to scratch the rim.

Thanks,
John

I use two of these tools below to keep the markings to a minimum. I put a towel over the hubcap, then take two of the "L" pieces, put them back to back with one under the lip of the hubcap, the other against the rim, then twist. Not the easiest way I'm sure, but doesn't scratch the paint....HTH :meh:

81pddFG1DJL._SL1500_%20copy-800x800.jpg

Thanks GA Architect and 77mustard40! I'll try those.
FYI - Due to me widening the OEM rims to 9", I had to find something a little different to get into the deeper hubcap inset. Thus my application may not match yours, but should still possibly work.

Toyota provided 2 specialized tools for removing and replacing wheel caps in later tool bag kits:
  • 09183-00030 - Wrench, Wheel Cap
  • 09183-60010 - Replacer, Wheel Cap
Both appear to still be available. Later versions of the Wheel Cap Wrench have a wider tip, and the later Wheel Cap Replacer is wider with a gray plastic coating.
P1020023.JPG

Earlier tool bag and tool roll kits included the one piece Hub Nut Box Wrench with either the tapered or notched tip, useful for removing the wheel cap.
20.JPG

For very early tool rolls with the 2-piece Hub Nut Box Wrench, the loop handle on the Spark Plug Wrench could be used as a makeshift tool for removing wheel caps. wesintl photo.
112_1283.JPG

Last edited:
what the heck does a "replacer" tool do and how does it work?

what the heck does a "replacer" tool do and how does it work?

For installing the wheel cap, it fits over the center of the cap, with the ends pointing towards the wheel. It provides a flat surface to hit with a rubber mallet. Photo from Fast Eddy. As mentioned above, bending the tabs in makes installation much easier, with or without the tool.

I didn't find the replacer to be all that effective. What worked for me (after bending the tabs in), was to hold the cap against the wheel so the edge of one side was against the wheel, then strike the outer edge of the cap directly opposite with a rubber mallet or the heel of my hand, the cap snaps right on.
hubcapTool97.jpg

Last edited:
For installing the wheel cap, it fits over the center of the cap, with the ends pointing towards the wheel. It provides a flat surface to hit with a rubber mallet. Photo from Fast Eddy. As mentioned above, bending the tabs in makes installation much easier, with or without the tool.

I didn't find the replacer to be all that effective. What worked for me (after bending the tabs in), was to hold the cap against the wheel so the edge of one side was against the wheel, then strike the outer edge of the cap directly opposite with a rubber mallet or the heel of my hand, the cap snaps right on.
View attachment 1073251

That tool was designed for the 8/80 and later 40 and 60 series that had a spoke wheel and small center cap. The spoon while designed to work on the same smaller cap does work with the earlier caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom