OEM vs Others (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used some from Lift Supports Depot--like $20-30. Hood and liftgate. So far so good.

3B2021DF-E7EF-4896-8F70-573E1E733624.jpeg

A piece of scrap PVC pipe, like @nickolai is where I'm at these days, 'cause the stupid aftermarket struts just don't last.

Depending on how long you keep your cruiser, OEM last 20 yrs for couple of hundreds bucks, aftermarket about $25 last couple of yrs.

One new OEM hood strut was enough to keep my hood up, if someone
wants to save some money. FWIW.

I live the OEM life, but in this case I would pick 'others.' OEM hood/hatch struts are a few hundred I think. El cheapo Chinese Amazon ones are totally fine.

$68 each for OEM

Last edited:
I used a old golf club shaft doing my head gasket job. Cut the head off and use the rubber end handle.
The end of the shaft fits in the two small holes towards for on the rail. The rubber end fits in the Larger holes on hood towards the top. Tried a different OEM prob but to short. Have wanted to try a T100 hood prop as it is longer. Just haven't taken off my T100 to try. It looks like there is holes for a hood prop on Cruisers.
Glad to see we are not the only 80 owners wit this challenge. When that hood comes down it will knock you out Personal experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom