OEM vs. GATES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I installed the gates hi pressure line on my rig, only to have to loosen the bolt holding it to the pump and when I did so, it snapped like the flimsy tubing it was, now the OEM hi pressure hose just showed up and its far and away different thicked stronger(cue siz million dollar man theme) and has all correct shielding and the bracket aw well. Never again will I stray from OEM. not worth it in the long run.

FWIW, I have never had a Gates product fail.
My truck has Gates belts and hoses on it without issue.
Power Steering Rebuild kit is Gates as well.

What tires, battery, and oil you running?

Nothing wrong with Gates. You just happened to have a bad experience whether that was your fault or the manufacturers. Either way, millions and millions of people are driving around with their belts, hoses and seals on their rigs. I've never had an issue with a Gates product.

Do you have pics? The Gates ps hose I installed for local mudder maybe three years ago was absolutely identical to OEM

FWIW, I have never had a Gates product fail.
My truck has Gates belts and hoses on it without issue.
Power Steering Rebuild kit is Gates as well.

What tires, battery, and oil you running?

Im with these guys above. In the past I have used Gates hi-pressure PS hose with excellent results and mirrored the OEM quality. Post some pics curious if something has changed?

I'm curious as well. I've never had an issue with Gates. Counterfeit Gates maybe? There was some green stripe hose making it's way around a few years ago that was cheap and thin and obviously not Gates.

I installed the gates hi pressure line on my rig, only to have to loosen the bolt holding it to the pump and when I did so, it snapped like the flimsy tubing it was

What exactly snapped? The steel tubing going to the banjo fitting?

Gates is good to go in my book. Have a mess of spare gates parts for my cummins sitting on the shelf.

Another Gates user here, for all 3 radiator hoses, many of my firewall hoses, PS rebuild kit and high pressure hose.
Please post some pics or further info, what you're saying is contrary to the experience of many of us. Not that you're wrong, at all, I just want to see if my info is now outdated, etc.
Thanks.

Did you have the bigger 24mm? But under the hose fitting properly torqued before installing the hose and 17mm nut on top?

Do you have pics? The Gates ps hose I installed for local mudder maybe three years ago was absolutely identical to OEM
Identical?? maybe three years ago, but the gates hose was chrome plated tubing the OEM is black pipe very heavy gates was light and worth all 50 dollars I paid the OEM was serious wqith lower bracket and proper insualtion. Ill try to get pics, oem came in this morning its installed now, along with wits end return lines.

Identical?? maybe three years ago, but the gates hose was chrome plated tubing the OEM is black pipe very heavy gates was light and worth all 50 dollars I paid the OEM was serious wqith lower bracket and proper insualtion. Ill try to get pics, oem came in this morning its installed now, along with wits end return lines.

That's really odd. Sucks

What exactly snapped? The steel tubing going to the banjo fitting?
yes like nothing again where gates is chrome plated tubing the OEM is anodized pipe. FYI I am a plumber by trade

Anodized? You sure. That would mean it's aluminum fittings rather than steel.
Im a plumber not a land cruiser scientist, its the s*** compared to plated tubing and the flare nut is 17MM as it should be, also blue fan showed today TY

Chrome plated???? Let's have a look at this gates hose.

Original was Hexavalent Chromium Plated Steel, I bet aftermarket is Hex Free Zinc Plated Steel (due to EU directive).
I'm very curious to see how it failed.

I think the guy was just looking to talk some uneducated sh
it. I mean... a plumber that doesn't know what anodizing is...? C'mon, buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom