OEM valve cover gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it black or blue? I just pulled off my cover and the gasket is blue, looks real good.
Unfortunately I do have a bad oil leak elsewhere, apparently from inside the distributor. So, guess it’s time for a new distributor. :(. Heater valve a bit corroded.

3124705F-B9A5-4E99-9C56-E0CCDEAEE18A.jpeg

188B753B-13FF-436B-ACD1-4256AF72578C.jpeg

That gasket was tricky to get back on without distorting it, for me. I used Perma-Tex gasket glue to keep it in place while I got the valve cover to sit correctly. Highly recommended.

If you found oil under the distributor cap that doesn't necessarily mean you need a new distributor IME, some tend to seep a bit, can do that for years without getting much worse. The O-ring for the shaft housing that slides into the head does need to be replaced whenever the distributor is pulled IMO.

If it's not too late, don't clean out that oil that's under the distributor cap with a harsh solvent (brake cleaner, Throttle Body or Carb cleaner), those can cause more damage to any rubber seals (shaft bearing and seal). I use Quick Dry Electronics cleaner, less likely to damage old rubber seals.

Definitely replace the heat control valve if you haven't already

Last edited:
If you found oil under the distributor cap that doesn't necessarily mean you need a new distributor IME, some tend to seep a bit, can do that for years without getting much worse. The O-ring for the shaft housing that slides into the head does need to be replaced whenever the distributor is pulled IMO.

If it's not too late, don't clean out that oil that's under the distributor cap with a harsh solvent (brake cleaner, Throttle Body or Carb cleaner), those can cause more damage to any rubber seals (shaft bearing and seal). I use Quick Dry Electronics cleaner, less likely to damage old rubber seals.

Definitely replace the heat control valve if you haven't already
But the amount of oil leaking from this area seems to be substantial. The oil trail definitely looks to be coming from this area, rather than gap between head and distributor. Suppose I could just replace O ring first and see how this works?

I haven't cleaned out the oil inside distributor yet. Have a new control valve ready to go in.

Get oem gasket it pops right in with no rtv. Blue one is felpro and needs rtv to hold it.
I did buy a new gasket awhile back, so might as well put it to good use. :)

But the amount of oil leaking from this area seems to be substantial. The oil trail definitely looks to be coming from this area, rather than gap between head and distributor. Suppose I could just replace O ring first and see how this works?

I haven't cleaned out the oil inside distributor yet. Have a new control valve ready to go in.
Fix your vacuum leaks.
VC gasket
Spark plug tube seals
Vacuum hoses
Oil fill cap seal
PCV hose and valve
Throttle body to VC hose

The distributor cap has a small hole in it for venting. If your PCV system and vacuum hoses hold the vacuum needed, then the oil seal inside the distributor will leak less because it is drawing air in constantly rather than pressurizing and blowing oil into the cap.

I had a significant oil leak at the front of my engine. Replaced the O ring on my distributor. I was surprised how much oil was leaking from there

I had a significant oil leak at the front of my engine. Replaced the O ring on my distributor. I was surprised how much oil was leaking from there
Thanks to all for your responses. I replaced the gasket and tube seals with a kit from Wits end. Also replaced heater valve, a few hoses, wrapped wire harness near EGR with heat protective tape and did an EGR delete while in there.

77ACE0A9-BB42-4FC1-B789-256D19CE92FE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom