OEM Universal Joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YardPig

SILVER Star
Threads
2001 LC

At 325,000 Miles I think it's time to do universal joints, some vibration being felt through the floor on the highway lately.
I want to pull both front and rear shafts and have all joints replaced and shafts balanced.

Not playing the aftermarket game with results like this. OEM Only.

I am coming up with Front Ujoints 04371-60051 and Rear Ujoint 04371-60070 (replacing 04371-35031)

Or just full renew complete with 37110-6A610 Complete New Rear Driveshaft, including new splines for the slip yoke....

Can anyone confirm part numbers? Thanks.

Last edited:
I confirm by either contacting my local Toyota/Lexus part department. Or checking at VIN# at PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World - https://partsouq.com/ They're both 99% accurate when VIN # used.

Just for the fun of it; Look for your make, model & yr without VIN # at PQ. It blew my mind at just how many variation Toyota/Lexus made for the global market.

Last edited:
2001 LC

At 325,000 Miles I think it's time to do universal joints, some vibration being felt through the floor on the highway lately.
I want to pull both front and rear shafts and have all joints replaced and shafts balanced.

Not playing the aftermarket game with results like this. OEM Only.

I am coming up with Front Ujoints 04371-60051 and Rear Ujoint 04371-60070 (replacing 04371-35031)

Or just full renew complete with 37110-6A610 Complete New Rear Driveshaft, including new splines for the slip yoke....

Can anyone confirm part numbers? Thanks.
One of our members found a shop that does driveshaft balancing. They installed the new OEM u-joints and balanced the shafts.

Inspect the yokes for wear, inspect the slip joint splines for wear and play ( like a cv axle spline). At 300k miles I’d replace the rear DS entirely. The chances you'll get a good balance and spider install is 50/50, and it's about $200 difference for a new DS vs buying joint's and getting balanced.

OEM driveshaft but my local shop removed the yolk and cleaned it up, installed brand new ujoints that I supplied, painted it, then balanced it. Couldn’t be happier, there’s a noticeable difference

533BCDAC-E4FE-4B9F-A190-F9F801711734.jpeg

What my 239k ujoints looked like

00DCBA00-834E-475A-8B61-6D2F4557FC83.jpeg

Inspect the yokes for wear, inspect the slip joint splines for wear and play ( like a cv axle spline). At 300k miles I’d replace the rear DS entirely. The chances you'll get a good balance and spider install is 50/50, and it's about $200 difference for a new DS vs buying joint's and getting balanced.
I'll be ordering a new one tomorrow. I slammed the rear on rocks one too many times. After yesterday's trip, I think it is toast.

I can tell the one that came on it when I bought it came from Pick and Pull.

I'll be ordering a new one tomorrow. I slammed the rear on rocks one too many times. After yesterday's trip, I think it is toast.

I can tell the one that came on it when I bought it came from Pick and Pull.
Doesn’t take much to throw it out of balance- I candy-striped mine over in Uwharrie - driveline shop did a good job working most of it out but it’s never been the same.

Now the question for debate is slip joint pointed at the 3rd or the TC?

Doesn’t take much to throw it out of balance- I candy-striped mine over in Uwharrie - driveline shop did a good job working most of it out but it’s never been the same.

The rear slip joint dust cover is pointed at the rear 3rd. Then the front slip joint dust cover pointed at the front 3rd. As shown on Page PR-2 99 model FSM. This is the same direction as a 99 model 1st gen Tacoma.

Page PR-3 has the rear end reversed. Later model Tacomas flipped the slip yoke to face forward. I can see how this can be confusing.

Last edited:
There’s an ongoing debate (everywhere) on slipjoint facing up(towards TC) or down (towards 3rd or diff)

My 05 FSM shows slip facing 3rd but I swapped it to keep it out of dirt,mud water etc.- the downside of doing that is it’s fatter at the 3rd and possibly greater chance of scraping drive shaft - nominal but I’ve done it

There’s an ongoing debate (everywhere) on slipjoint facing up(towards TC) or down (towards 3rd or diff)

My 05 FSM shows slip facing 3rd but I swapped it to keep it out of dirt,mud water etc.- the downside of doing that is it’s fatter at the 3rd and possibly greater chance of scraping drive shaft - nominal but I’ve done it
Good to know.

When I drove it tonight at over 40 MPH, I could stop the vibration by shifting into neutral and letting it coast. It seems the vibration only occurs under load.

The problem turned out to be coming from the rear driveshaft u-joint next to the rear 3rd member. Neither u-joint was loose. The rear joint had a gritty feel. It possibly picked up some mud from the weekend. Since I often drive in deep mud, I'm game for trying the drive shaft with the slip yoke facing the transfer case.

This evening I removed the driveshaft and drove around with CDL on to be a front-wheel-drive. Smoothness has returned. Not much if any torque steer.
It's actually fun to drive.

If you're in water and mud frequently- good practice to pump some fresh grease into the spiders until clean grease to comes out- try this after your muddy weekends.

If you're in water and mud frequently- good practice to pump some fresh grease in he spiders until clean grease to comes out- try this after your muddy weekends.
I do grease it monthly during the off-road season. Just not as soon as I get home. I guess I should start.

If you're in water and mud frequently- good practice to pump some fresh grease into the spiders until clean grease to comes out- try this after your muddy weekends.
If I switch yoke sides, will I be considered a big-endian or a little-endian? I guess I'll be a big-endian.

I mounted the driveshaft with the slip yoke facing the transfer case and took it for a drive. It jumped up to 95 MPH like it did last summer. All nice and smooth now. Now I'm ready to drive to the Toyota Jamboree next Thursday.

Thanks again, Andrew! I want to share these pictures. The more I look at this modification, the more I like it. This will drastically reduce slip yoke exposure to mud and rocks that I hit on a monthly basis.

Places the slip yoke grease zerk up and away from mud and rocks.

1650716448900.png

This will fare better in rocks and mud.

1650716559675.png

Easy to see how the slip yoke is now better protected.

1650716683769.png

The Trail Tailor creeper skid takes a beating. This is for a rough off-roading environment.

1650716972649.png

Tested the new driveshaft position in the real world mud and off-road trails at The Toyota Jamboree. I am happy with the results. The red dust is from Texas red clay.

The rear took the mud and dirt. The front stayed high and dry. This is exactly what I wanted from this configuration.

1651838914853.png

A little bit or red tail dust collected around some grease on the slip yoke. No mud around this side of the driveshaft.

1651839022746.png

Tested the new driveshaft position in the real world mud and off-road trails at The Toyota Jamboree. I am happy with the results. The red dust is from Texas red clay.

The rear took the mud and dirt. The front stayed high and dry. This is exactly what I wanted from this configuration.

View attachment 3002235

A little bit or red tail dust collected around some grease on the slip yoke. No mud around this side of the driveshaft.

View attachment 3002236
I assume no new vibrations post swap? Seems like the winning orientation.

Grease those spiders after your mud bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom