OEM TRE comes with free tie rod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cheezypoof

SILVER Star
Threads
Had you at 'free' right?

I need to replace this guy (driver's side TRE), hard to see in the pic but the boot is torn and there's side to side play.

PXL_20210101_184350989.jpg

I read the OEM TREs (45047-60H03) have longer threads and need to be cut to fit the existing rod. Then I read if you order 45047-60H03 it comes with a 'free' rod, which eliminates the thread issue.

My question, has anyone ordered one of these recently and does it come with the rod?

Other option is to go vendor/aftermarket e.g. 555 TRE, which I gather is a direct replacement.

That's the first I've ever heard of cutting any rods or rod ends on a stock setup. Order a 555 tie rod end kit from Cruiser Outfitters and you'll be good to go. Just be sure to get your alignment checked after install and to regularly grease them (I do mine every 3 months along with my shackles and leaf springs) or you'll be right back in this situation.

Yes, I had to cut off the end of my Toyota TRE to fit my '89 FJ62. It's documented here on Mud. Pix attached showing OEM 1989 vs. 2015 new OEM.

For all the people (pretty much everyone on Mud) who are absolutely ga-ga over genuine Toyota parts, why are 555 tie rod ends held in such high regard? There are days I feel like I am the only person who ever bought and installed OEM TREs on my truck. Yes, they are expensive. I used a 555 center arm rebuild kit for my FJ40 was only sort-of impressed with the machining quality, and one of the seals did not fit, so I re-used the existing seal.

DSCN6234.JPG

Yes, I had to cut off the end of my Toyota TRE to fit my '89 FJ62. It's documented here on Mud. Pix attached showing OEM 1989 vs. 2015 new OEM.

For all the people (pretty much everyone on Mud) who are absolutely ga-ga over genuine Toyota parts, why are 555 tie rod ends held in such high regard? There are days I feel like I am the only person who ever bought and installed OEM TREs on my truck. Yes, they are expensive. I used a 555 center arm rebuild kit for my FJ40 was only sort-of impressed with the machining quality, and one of the seals did not fit, so I re-used the existing seal.

View attachment 2565277
My impression is that 555 are the only aftermarket (when it comes to tie rod ends) that legitimately meets the true OEM spec AND quality. The fact that they're made in Japan I'm sure plays a part in this, as Chinese aftermarket are notoriously VERY poor quality. I've used 555 for years now and the only thing that's hurt them is neglect when it comes to routine maintenance (guilty).

AFAIK the first year 60 series had a very long tie rod end on the right side of the axle, I think I have one on the shelf, when they went to the shorter end they included a new rod to match.
and it has just continued to this day,

Some TREs come with small metric bolts installed in the zerk hole that can be removed and replaced with the zerk fitting. Hopefully this is the case.

Toyota boots also have a 'vent' that allows air and excess grease to poop out of the joint, if you slightly over-grease it.

I just replaced the TREs on my 60. The drag link ends come with zerk fittings already installed. Tie rod ends have a small bolt in them that I took out and replaced with he zerk fittings from the old drag link ends..

Not exactly a free rod, if you have to pay more to have it's extra weight shipped...

My impression is that 555 are the only aftermarket (when it comes to tie rod ends) that legitimately meets the true OEM spec AND quality. The fact that they're made in Japan I'm sure plays a part in this, as Chinese aftermarket are notoriously VERY poor quality. I've used 555 for years now and the only thing that's hurt them is neglect when it comes to routine maintenance (guilty).
I am about to install a set of Terrain Tamer TREs and relay rod end. They are made in Japan, and are greasable. According to the box, they exceed stock specs for hardness etc. They're also pre-painted, which is nice.

I am about to install a set of Terrain Tamer TREs and relay rod end. They are made in Japan, and are greasable. According to the box, they exceed stock specs for hardness etc. They're also pre-painted, which is nice.
Interesting. Not sure I had heard of Terrain Tamer making 60/62 ends. Good to know there's another option out there for us. I'm curious to get a set and break them down to see how the internals compare to the 555 ends.

Just changed TRE very recently. 555 from cruiser outfitters. Tapped hole with little bolt, no zerk. Why?.... Supposedly they are factory greased/sealed and overgreasing can damage the seals and cause premature failure. Well see how long they last... they look nice

Just changed TRE very recently. 555 from cruiser outfitters. Tapped hole with little bolt, no zerk. Why?.... Supposedly they are factory greased/sealed and overgreasing can damage the seals and cause premature failure. Well see how long they last... they look nice
Ideally you just want to pump enough grease in to see the rubber boot begin to expand, then done. Though from experience I can say it's easy to be that guy who pumps way too much grease in and unseats the boots. Gotta actually pay attention while you're doing it. Your oil change garage grease monkey being the most likely to overservice typically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom