OEM Tail light / Lamp Electrical Connector Differences / Types FJ40 1/75 - 10/ 84 ( 8/26/2019 Final OEM TOYOTA Parts Solution Updates ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

images354.jpg

Matt, great job on the conversion!

Folks take note of this conversion when you go to buy new tail lights!

This conversion allows you to buy ANY 3 bulb tail light, regardless of it's connector type, (or even if it has no connector installed) and be able to have water proof tail light connectors that support the ground wire.

So who do we contact to get one of these connector kits? ToyotaMatt? Could use one of these as im in need of replacing both my tail lights and my tail lights are currently hardwired with no connector. lol

So who do we contact to get one of these connector kits? ToyotaMatt? Could use one of these as im in need of replacing both my tail lights and my tail lights are currently hardwired with no connector. lol

PM sent ............................

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Last edited:
Well done Matt👍 The day is coming where I need to get into PO messes at the back of both rigs

Well done Matt👍 The day is coming where I need to get into PO messes at the back of both rigs

If the day is Coming , im gonna say the day is Already hear Today ....................

i Updated a Set over the weekend , and 2 Full Plug and PLay Kit's Ready to Priority Mail Express

Overnight to you Right Now !

index020202000.jpg

a New set of the Latest Press-Master design will Yeild this Result 24/7

1574324231746.png

Matt, what Press Master model crimp tool is that? I use the Hero 255 to crimp those large 206 ring terminals, but it takes two separate operations. If the Press Master crimp tool can do that in one operation, I may have to invest in one. I have a China crimp tool that will do the 104,105, and 106 ring terminals in one operation.

Now, since the tail lights available today either have no connectors on them, have the older 4 terminal non-sealed connectors or have the 6 terminal sealed connectors, you end up with the wrong connectors on the tail lights to match your rear chassis harness. The best solution is to use aftermarket waterproof connectors like the Metri-Pak, Weather-Pack, Deutsch, or Amphenol type connectors and replace the rear chassis harness side connectors (female) and the tail light side connectors (male) with those. Be aware that all those connector types require crimp tools designed for that family of connectors if you want to do it right. I have always preferred the Metri-Pak 150 series of connectors. They are available in 2,3,4,6 terminal configurations. I would use the 6 terminal connectors. That way you can easily add the ground wire to the rear lights and still have one terminal left for something else like a third brake light or high powered reverse lights.

Speaking of the ground wire: If you have a soldering iron of 300 watts or more, a butane micro torch or even a plumbers propane torch you can solder the ground wire to the rear light housing. No torch? Get a cheap rivet tool then you can rivet a wire with a small ring terminal to the housing to provide ground. Just make sure to use STEEL rivets not aluminum so you don't get the dissimilar metal corrosion. cover the rivet inside and out with Flex-Seal, liquid tape or anything you have on hand to seal out the water.

A third really cheap way is to drill a 1/8 hole in the tail light housing and insert a 6-32 small screw through it from the inside so the threads are sticking out. Use a star lock washer on the inside and outside for a good bite into the tail light housing metal, and a nut and tighten it tight. Now use a small ring terminal with your ground wire over the "stud" and another nut to secure the ring terminal.

Hey Coolerman, I had you make me a rear harness for my 78 FJ40 several years ago. I installed it right away, but never finished, due to medical issues. I had questions about the grounding of the tail lights with your harness. Is this still the correct way to ground your harness? It sucks not being able to drive on the road because of no tail lights.

Thanks for any help. Keith Foster

Hey Coolerman, I had you make me a rear harness for my 78 FJ40 several years ago. I installed it right away, but never finished, due to medical issues. I had questions about the grounding of the tail lights with your harness. Is this still the correct way to ground your harness? It sucks not being able to drive on the road because of no tail lights.

Thanks for any help. Keith Foster

do u have OEM toyota tail lamps or aftermarket ones ?

4 pin connectors

or

6 pin ovals ?

photos posted here will be very helpful .....................

lets see if we can help

coolman will be around soon , hopefully ..........

matt

I'm going to have to look at this weekend, you start forgetting things after a couple of years. As always, I can find help here. Thanks,

old skool toyota 2.jpeg

Matt,

Just wanted to thank-you for the excellent documentation of comparisons and clear close-up photos on this thread. This would be a great inclusion in the FAQs thread.

Matt,

Just wanted to thank-you for the excellent documentation of comparisons and clear close-up photos on this thread. This would be a great inclusion in the FAQs thread.

thanks bear ..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom