OEM Spacer on 200 - shock question

I am thinking about installing the OEM spacer on my 2013 to level it up and reduce rubbing on my tires. (285/70/17 on icon rebounds). I currently have 120k miles on my LC and was wondering if I should proactively replace the shocks while I am at it. I am not sure of the life expectancy of the OEM shock, but I can imagine they were changed before I bought it at 90k miles.

....AND, if I do end up replacing, should I go with OEM or something aftermarket to go with the extended height?

It is my wifes daily, and I am not sure I plan to lift any time soon. Off the payment is mostly forest service roads. My 120 sees more off road at the moment because I tow it behind the camper.

I replaced my shocks when I did the spacer install, saves on labor costs. I had about 105k on mine. I bought some OEM take offs from a 2019. It rides good. I also did the rears and rear brakes.

bloc

SILVER Star
Without seeing them being replaced in the service history I wouldn’t assume they had been done. Many people don’t go that far with proactive maintenance, especially on something that is supposed to be as durable as a cruiser.

So yes, I’d see if you can find a set of take-offs from one of the builders here or even buy new if you have to. They aren’t terribly expensive even for OEM which is the definite quality leader if you don’t go with something higher performance.

As for whether you need more shock with the spacer in place.. nope. The spacer might as well have come on the vehicle, it handles so well with it in place.

afgman786

SILVER Star
If you had posted about this a few days earlier, I could've worked something out with you and had a set of take offs from a '19 sent down to GA with family.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Definitely replace the shocks for the low additional cost and labor savings. Beware of frozen cam tabs or any issues with the KDSS before jumping into the spacer upgrade. The guy I recently bought my 200 from had gone into the dealership to get the spacer installed and ended up paying for a full KDSS replacement pump (techs couldn't get the valves open - bonus for me is the new setup has the bolt style valve openings) and lower control arms along with quite a few other things because various bolts had frozen. I don't know what the total bill was, but I'll bet it was among the most expensive spacer style lifts ever. If yours looks like it might be a headache, don't do it!

Honestly, I'd do a proper suspension upgrade given the mileage vs labor. No need for a spacer then. However, you'll be looking at nearly double the cost. I guess it comes down to your goals and budget. I'm planning to do a mild lift and 34's eventually... So this would be exactly when I'd make that swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom